• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where can I find a Ford 8 inch?

AZCA jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
What vehicles can I find the 8 inch in? I want to get going on a swap soon and from what I've read the 8 inch is tougher than a d44. What kind of aftermarket support is there for it? Available gears, lockers ect.?

Also, I know the HP30 is strong, but I want a d44 up front. What should I be looking for though? Will it be hard to mate a d44 up front with my Peugot trans. and NP231 t-case? Any adivice/ help would be awesome!

Last edited:
'96 and up Ford Explorer for the factory disc brake setup.

AZCA jeeper said:
What vehicles can I find the 8 inch in? I want to get going on a swap soon and from what I've read the 8 inch is tougher than a d44. What kind of aftermarket support is there for it? Available gears, lockers ect.?

Also, I know the HP30 is strong, but I want a d44 up front. What should I be looking for though? Will it be hard to mate a d44 up front with my Peugot trans. and NP231 t-case? Any adivice/ help would be awesome!
Do you actually mean a 8.8 inch instead of a 8 inch?

snow580 said:
Do you actually mean a 8.8 inch?
beat me to it. no such thing as a ford 8" i dont think..

my parents were kids back in 66 so i wasnt even though of. Maybe i should have paid more attention when my dad was telling my everything he did to completely restore his 65. All matching numbers. this thing is cherry. I want it.

snow580 said:
There was an 8" that was used in some sb mustangs around 1966. Very rare tho.

actually, the 8" Corporate Ford rearend is/was quite common. It was the standard rearend in mustangs, cougars, maverics, falcons, fairlanes, etc that did not come equipped with performance options. The 9" was generally offered as an optional upgrade in the late 60's and early 70's in most of these lines. The 8" rear offeres a lighter and smaller version of the removable carrier design that has proven itself in numerous applications. It's main drawbacks are it's tiney shafts (compared to the 31 spline 9") and to a lesser degree, a reduced offset on the pinion gear (again, compared to the 9")

actually, the 8" Corporate Ford rearend is/was quite common. It was the standard rearend in mustangs, cougars, maverics, falcons, fairlanes, etc that did not come equipped with performance options. The 9" was generally offered as an optional upgrade in the late 60's and early 70's in most of these lines. The 8" rear offeres a lighter and smaller version of the removable carrier design that has proven itself in numerous applications. It's main drawbacks are it's tiney shafts (compared to the 31 spline 9") and to a lesser degree, a reduced offset on the pinion gear (again, compared to the 9")

What he said

Its basically the little brother of the 9 inch, a pretty decent rear actually. I had a 66 mustang for my first car and was obsessed with researching about it. Basically, if you had an early mustang it had an 8 inch unless you had a 289hipo or bigger.

What you want is an 8.8 out of a 96 and newer ford explorer. It comes with 31 spline axles, trac lock, and disc brakes from what I hear.

igotanxj said:
Basically, if you had an early mustang it had an 8 inch unless you had a 289hipo or bigger

unless you had the '65-'66 with the inline six-- you got the non-removable carrier 4 lug shafted 7.whatever-it-was" piece of feces

The OP also mentioned having a Peugot tranny. Unless your Dana 35 is getting ready to die you might want to consider trading out that tranny first.

Back