• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C.E.L. code

Xtreme XJ

NAXJA Member #1138
NAXJA Member
So it's throwing a code of 0118 "Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor high output"
So is this the sensor up front on the T-stat housing ??

The XJ seems to run O.K. idle is a little high... mileage is... well never has been much, but seems like even less now...

Any thoughts on the 0118 code ? Do I have the location right ?

Thanks...

Curt

Yes.
It means the sensor or wire to the sensor, or connector is bad.
Yes.

Well I have gone through my fair share of these sensors...
Is there a test I can do... I've gotten the O.E. sensors in the past... so NAPA is acceptable for sensors ?
Maybe I need to replace this part of the wiring ??
Thoughts...
Thanks for the help...

Curt

You can check the sensor cold and hot with a meter and see if it's within range. Here are some of the numbers from the table in the 97 FSM.

68F => 11,370-13,610 ohms
77F => 9120-10880 ohms
86F => 7370-8750 ohms
194F => 830-970 ohms
248F => 370-410 ohms

So at approx. 80*to 85* (air temp. water might be a little cooler) the meter says 6K. This is touching the meter to the prongs in the sensor... did I do this right ?
If I did then the sensor might not be the problem after all...
Any other thoughts ?? Did I test it right ?

Thanks...
Curt

The resistance with the sensor cool looks good. I would also measure the resistance with the engine warmed up just to make sure the sensor is good. It may end up being a wiring problem.

O.K. I did that AND at 210 it's down around 600, so I guess I'll try to chase it back...
Anyone have an idea on where/what to look for causing the "high output"
With the key on I was able to get the meter on the harness plug end and with the engine off it was at 5v... I don't know it that means anything...
should it be more?

Thanks lawsoncl...

Curt

"meter on the harness plug end and with the engine off it was at 5v"

You have a shorted wire, or something really wierd there. It should have no voltage with power off. If that was a ground wire reading 5 volts with power on I would say its a bad ground and a short, since the Temp sensor is OK.

Well I kind of mislead y'all there... the engine WAS off, BUT !! the key was on.
The plug end is getting scrappy so can I cut & remove the last few inches and get a newer one and splice it in... soldier & heat shrink ??

It looks like it goes into the injector harness loom then into an even larger loom at the fire wall and up to the PCM (I think).
Would a short cause the code I got to come in ? The loom is in great shape, I'm just curious where it got the "HIGH OUTPUT" from ??

Thanks again to everyone...

Curt

The computer expects to see less voltage returned from the sensor back to the ECU, than the voltage supplied to the sensor from the ECU. So if the sensor is good (your tests say it is good), then that leaves a crossed wire connection caused by worn or damaged insulation on the return wire from the sensor to the ECU, making contact with a hot wire, any hot wire anywhere on the run from the sensor back to the ECU.

Happy hunting!

Disconnect the sensor, then test each wire individually from the one pin at a time to ground. One should read 5 volts, the other should read less than 0.1 volts. Also check the harness connector itself is not corroded and shorted!!!!

Mike...
Thanks for the direction... happy hunting... HA ! It'd be easier to light it on fire...
You say back to the "ECU" ? Not the PCM ?
I wonder if the end that clips onto the sensor isn't bad... or old enough to start causing me problems... I might try splicing a newer one that's in better shape on there...

Thanks again...

Curt

Connector on the end is definately suspect. Clean it with brake cleaner, and make sure the pins are clean and tight. Connector could be shorted internally, so replacement is worth a try if cleaning it fails. Could just cut one of the two lines to the connector about 6" back of the connector, and see if the short is still there at the end connector. IF it is, replace the connector.

Renix called an ECU, Chrysler starting calling it a PCM in 1996, OBD-II, I believe.

Xtreme XJ said:
Mike...
Thanks for the direction... happy hunting... HA ! It'd be easier to light it on fire...
You say back to the "ECU" ? Not the PCM ?
I wonder if the end that clips onto the sensor isn't bad... or old enough to start causing me problems... I might try splicing a newer one that's in better shape on there...

Thanks again...

Curt

Back