• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for some header/cat/downpipe feedback

hubs97xj

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so I'm going to pull the trigger on Project Cheapokee Performance Upgrades Part Duh, and I thought I'd ask for some input from the been there, done that crowd. I've got a 97 4.0, Rusty's CAI, TBS, stock TB, Dynomax Superturbo catback, bone stock otherwise.

I'm trying to do this on a budget, so a grand's worth of Banks/Borla/$ components just won't cut it with me. I've seen a lot of mentions of the APN header being a decent component, so I'm leaning toward that.

http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/viewprd.asp?idProduct=20009

In reading through the legion past discussions, and trying to search for the criteria listed, I came across these. No brand on the first, decent price, the Magnaflow is a bit saltier, but hey, I haven't found any cheap big name parts. Both purport to be high flow, bolt on, clamps, included, correct outlet diameter. The Dynomax CB has a 2.25" inlet, so the universals universals with 2.5" in/out require another piece of pipe, and 2 more mechanical connections. Me not want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-GRAND-or-CHEROKEE-HF-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-1993-2002_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33629QQihZ020QQitemZ300229240854QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magnaflow-Catalytic-Converter-96-00-JEEP-CHEROKEE-23226_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33629QQihZ024QQitemZ370053592434QQtcZphoto

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magn...75827QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V#ebayphotohosting
<edit: same part as second link, cheaper. Bolt on? Not sure, neither one seems to display the actual part>

Now, the down pipe (head pipe, header pipe?) from manifold/header, down and over to cat... well, it looks like a POS to me. However, searches for custom made, constant diameter pipe has yielded nothing but repeated returns for "Banks optional down pipe available", and crimp bent or OE pipes.

I'm looking for a stocked-by-autozone or buy online kind of thing, with nice mandrel bends, and no crushes. I'll be miles from the nearest exhaust shop, and have no access to a welder or bender, so I need stuff that either bolts right on with no fab work, or at the very least, I'll have to reuse the stock pipe and drive it to a shop. I'm typically leary of three things- shop labor, labor rates, and trying to negotiate custom parts. In the past, the labor's often come from meatheads, the rates have been too high for Mongo's workmanship, and/or they've tried to get me to pay more for a simple fab or install than a top of the line, name brand bolt on system would cost me. This is a small town, and my options are limited. Rambling on, does such a pipe exist (that will bolt up to the APN header and the cat), or is a custom pipe the only real option?

I'm also leaning toward the electric fan conversion, but am still trying to run down part numbers, and source another 97+ or comparable fan for cheap, such as Comanche91 did a write up on the other day. Anyone done this, or something similar, and have actual part numbers? I tried to find the same components (or those with identical specs), and I'm not confident enough with those results to order the parts and roll the dice. Again, as with the exhaust, this will be done far enough from a shop that a complete screw-up or need to do some welding/bending/fabbing will result in a major hassle.

As a result, I might put this one off until the exhaust is done, but the lure of doing everything, and only disassembling my DD one time is attractive. My and my buddy's schedules conflict somewhat, so being able to knock this out in a day or two is an important factor.

Lastly, assuming I haven't killed myself or gone broke fixing a mistake by this time, I'm looking to get a bored out TB. I had found a few links to shops offering them, but I can't find anything recent on them, and since this seems to be a popular upgrade, thought I'd see where you guys source yours, and see what my best (and cheapest) option was there.

Anyway, sorry for the book, thought I'd lay out all the relevant information, and save you from having to ask me a hundred questions before being able to answer the first one. Thanks, I appreciate your feedback.

hub

Last edited:
Okay, everyone around here spells it as one word - downpipe. Okay, so that's a custom only job. Damn the luck, but that's not a huge surprise. Too late to edit that out of the OP.

Sorry for the long posts, but I just want some part numbers on some of that stuff. Not one of the companies mentioned in this makes a single cat/header/fan/relay etc, and "I got it at Oreilly's 10 years ago" isn't any help either. I can't walk into Autozone and say, "Yeah, this guy bought this thing for an electric fan or something, and it's got a wire or three, and it's not expensive- make sure I get what he got". If I trusted them, I wouldn't have bothered spending hours reading through 900 threads on here.

Just installed the APN exhaust manifold on a 98XJ that I bought recently. I saw the crappy downpipe/exhaust pipe bend and wanted to change it. After calling a few places (Autozone, Carquest, and Pepboys) I settled on NAPA, the cost was like $55 or so, and they understood what I was asking for.

The APN fit nicely, except that I couldnt get the 2000 style intake on due to clearance issues. The NAPA downpipe fit wel, and now the new XJ runs well.

The NAPA downpipe fit wel, and now the new XJ runs well.[/quote]

Got a pic of this? I am looking to replace my pos downpipe and was going to have a shop make one. What diameter is it??

hubs97xj said:
Eh, if it's either of these, I think that's worse than the stock piece.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=EXH&PartNumber=54448&Description=Exhaust+Pipe

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=EXH&PartNumber=55277&Description=Exhaust+Pipe

This is all I can find at their site, but it might be worth a trip over there just in case they have something else.

Definitely better than stock but you mind as well get one mandrel bent.

yes thats the one. Its definitely an improvement over the stock pipe since it doesnt have that crimp in the first bend.

I a previous post someone said they purchased theirs from Autozone. I found NAPA to be the easiest to deal with and they got it the same day.

I was put off by the crinkle bends, and I couldn't tell if it was crushed like the factory pipe- the "enlarged" pic isn't any better for me. Interesting though, I'll keep that in mind.

That's the reason that I bought it. I was able to go in and check out the bends and overall quality before I paid for it.

Even though I wanted to get the XJ back together quickly I wanted to make sure that I wasnt just throwing a piece of crap on to be done.

I was looking through some other websites, and noticed on Autozone what appears to be a mandrel bent version. I've got some credit built up on my rewards card (from last years numerous repairs), so I may special order one just to see what it looks like. If it's a winner, it'll save some headaches for others, I hope.

If it's a bigger piece of crap... well, that's another headache only I will have.

I bought the downpipe from rock auto, its the same as the one in the pics at napa but it was like 40 bucks. definitely better than stock, no crush like stock, and its definitely wider at the crimple bends than the stock bends.

fit right up to the APN header which barely interfered with the 99+ intake. i barely grinded off any metal.

Cool, sure enough, the downpipe on RockAuto is WALKER Part # 55277, 39.79, NAPA lists EXH55277, 63.49. Something to be said for "right f-ing now", but that's another option.

I looked up the Autozone downpipe, Maremont 349838 on the manufacturer's website, and they all look just about identical. Interesting.

<edit nm that was a horrible idea in retrospect>

Last edited:
I picked up a downpipe from a 95+ at the JY($6)for my brother's 93XJ. We got it red hot with the torch and banged out the crush. He definitely noticed a difference in power compared to the smaller diameter one with the crush.

I scored a Borla new in box for $225 on the socal forsale forum. That coupled with a new walker 2.5" cat and 2.5" catback and I'm happy. :) The walker catback is like 95 bucks from summit racing, and the generic cat was like $100.
I got really lucky on the Borla. VERY nice piece and I'd buy one at full retail as the fit is superb, and there are no kinks or anything. Definate seat of pants power improvement over stock. The borla is a header/downpipe combo and won't work with the stock downpipe. It tucks up nicely to the block and is all mandrel bent.

I would buy another Borla set-up if I had to. I'm coming up on 5 years w/o problems and the finish is still excellent. Good score!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go full Borla stainless, but as I first stated, a grand's worth of exhaust on 2 grand's worth of truck would hardly be a budget upgrade.

I have about $5K in mods and I paid $1200 for the XJ(was a steal to get a 96 w/ 66K on it--the young DR didn't know ish about it, but his dad bought it new and they avg'd 6K a year).

89CAXJ said:
Just installed the APN exhaust manifold on a 98XJ that I bought recently. I saw the crappy downpipe/exhaust pipe bend and wanted to change it. After calling a few places (Autozone, Carquest, and Pepboys) I settled on NAPA, the cost was like $55 or so, and they understood what I was asking for.

The APN fit nicely, except that I couldnt get the 2000 style intake on due to clearance issues. The NAPA downpipe fit wel, and now the new XJ runs well.

Do any other headers give the same problem

Back