• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98+ FOB Writeup

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Thought I would throw this one up. This is a fairly easy little project to do, so here we go. Like all of you I am sure, my OEM '99 FOB was a little worn. I had purchased a newer one a while back, and then threw it in a drawer and forgot about it. I never got around to having it programed. Well here I'll show you how to avoid that trip to the dealer. Assuming you have your old one and the buttons still work, you'll be all set.

Old N Busted - New Hotness

P6010002.jpg

The FOB has a little notch on the side, this is how you will take it apart. You can use a small flat blade screwdriver. My tool of choice was a small pick.

P6010005.jpg

P6010006.jpg

P6010008.jpg

After you get the side cracked, just use a little pressure and pull the halves apart.

P6010010.jpg

Now to get the board out, just push in on the buttons. This should force the whole assembly outward. It is a snug fit, so firm, steady pressure will slide it out and not hurt the board.

P6010011.jpg

P6010012.jpg

Next, take the board out of the rubber button pad. Just work the pad off all the way around.

P6010013.jpg

Time for the switcharoo. Put the board from your old FOB into the new pad. Reverse process, reassemble, and Voila!. You just "programed" your new remote.

P6010014.jpg

Dude I heard if you do this mod your jeep will fold like a taco.

is that true?

P6010011.jpg

Your girlfriend has beautiful hands! :thumbup:

Back