• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody swapped alternator and AC compressor?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
The alternator being under the jeep and the AC compressor being on top seems totally bass-ackwards to me. For one thing the AC does not have to be used, but the alternator MUST BE USED, so it makes sense that the alternator would be on top away from the mud and water, while the AC compressor was down low (and it can be shut off if it's at risk).

Also they are pretty well stacked on top of each other and all the lines and fittings are pretty much right next to each other so... should be feasible. Biggest problem is that some brackets would have to be fabbed up to make the swap.

Anybody actually done it?

Do a search on here for relocating the alt., many people on here have done it and had writeups. Some fabbed up their own brackets and others modified the stock bracket.

Thanks that looks pretty straightforward from what I can see of the remaining working pics

I want to keep the AC compressor though so that is only half the battle. If relocating it downwards is as easy as moving the alternator upwards, it should be cake.

If relocating it downwards is as easy as moving the alternator upwards, it should be cake.
...........Famous Last Words...

I think Moving the A/C Compressor will be difficult. The Alt is easy, but I think the A/C is going to need a whole new bracket made to mount where the Alt was.

never said it wasn't possible..... it's just gonna take some Fab.

ok, so how did you swap their positions? that's what the question is... not "can I move the alt to where the A/C is?". It's "How do I move the alt up, and keep the A/C?"

Back