• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about trailer wheels and tars

BOB

MWC geezer
NAXJA Member
got my first trailer to transport the XJ.
I have four wheels - 15 inch
I need tp replace the tires and wheels.
do I have to use bias tires?
what about radials?
How big of a tire is too big
any suggestions for a noob trailer owner?

Thanks

BOB

Last edited:
Call up your local tire shop/Sam's/Costco and price out trailer tires. They're a bit more, but are designed for the loads and sidewall stress a loaded trailer puts on them.

Check out the PBB towrig/trailer forum for everything you need to know.

Yeah, do what they said.

When I upgraded my old tow rig from 31s to 32s, I moved the old 31 ATs to my trailer, to replace the bald-ass may-pops my trailer came with.

In tight turns, I can watch the sidewalls twist somwthing awful. Eventually, one will pull right off the bead, and then I'll be up a creek.

Truck tires are not trailer tires...

Robert

we run mostly bias ply the smaller trailers we sell at my work and radials on the bigger cargos and hualers. I have been told there is no strength improvement over the bias I think its just a cost issue. Trailer tires are pretty cheap and most dont ballance them so good news for you.

If you care about the trailer run radial. Bias tire's are just a cheap rag that will give up the ghost if they get hot. Radial's are constructed better and are built with better components. A typical bias tire is rated for a mere 6,000 miles. Radial's will out last and outperform. Not to mention they will tow down the road a lot better. I sell both at my shop, but always try to recommend radial over bias. The down side is they cost a bit more, but, you pay for what you get....just my .02 :clap:

dbperformance96 said:
If you care about the trailer run radial. Bias tire's are just a cheap rag that will give up the ghost if they get hot. Radial's are constructed better and are built with better components. A typical bias tire is rated for a mere 6,000 miles. Radial's will out last and outperform. Not to mention they will tow down the road a lot better. I sell both at my shop, but always try to recommend radial over bias. The down side is they cost a bit more, but, you pay for what you get....just my .02 :clap:
Oh average, how much more are the radials compared to the bias?

About 25 bucks.

thanks for the responses.
with gas prices as they are.
I am doing less wheeling.
So, I am using wheeling money to get the trailer set up right
I won't hijack my own thread to talk about trailer paint : )

BOB

Back