• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing ABS insurance question

NickThePyro

NAXJA Forum User
First, yes I searched and read many topics about the subject.

I have a 99 with ABS and a Dana 44 in my garage I am about to install but I have to remove my ABS to run it. I have been told if I remove the ABS and get into a cash I can be sued because I removed the saftey system and my insurance wont cover it. Is this true?

Thanks,
Nick

To get 100 percent answer, call your agent. He probably won't tell you what you want to hear though.

-Andrew

ABS is not a requirement, but you should call your agent and ask. Worst case just tell him to stop giving you the ABS discount then you should be all good!

When I removed mine, I call my company and told them that I had removed it and to remove it from the policy. They did and my rate when up slightly but now it's not part of the policy so no worries.

Since this was an option on XJ's, you would only be changing it to a way it could have come from the factory. Now if you removed from a car that it was not an option, then you would most likely have problems.

My .02 worth.

wow, im surprised anyones even mentioning ABS. Im pretty sure my bumper and i KNOW my lift are illegal arent they? i mean any aftermarket stuff makes it not legal in a collision isnt that the case? i figured id just play dumb

emr1101 said:
wow, im surprised anyones even mentioning ABS. Im pretty sure my bumper and i KNOW my lift are illegal arent they? i mean any aftermarket stuff makes it not legal in a collision isnt that the case? i figured id just play dumb

you need to look at the lift laws in your state, but just because you have aftermarket parts doesnt make it it illegal.

here in PA, we have state inspection every year and if it were illegal to have a lift and aftermarket parts, the car would not pass inspection. also, just because is doesnt say DOT approved on a part, doesnt make it illegal.

89xj said:
you need to look at the lift laws in your state, but just because you have aftermarket parts doesnt make it it illegal.

here in PA, we have state inspection every year and if it were illegal to have a lift and aftermarket parts, the car would not pass inspection. also, just because is doesnt say DOT approved on a part, doesnt make it illegal.

Its not always just a state law thing. I had to change insurance a while back, because I drove my XJ to my insurance agents. They noticed it was lifted and gave me 90 days to change providers before they dropped it as they will not cover lifted vehicles for liability.

They DID offer to let me keep my multi car discount if I leave my other vehicle with them, but f' that. ;)

cal said:
Insurance inspectors after an accident.
;)
x2 on that, they look for any way they can to deny your claim, especially if other things of your vehicle are modified in any way.

I totaled a Dodge Dakota with my lifted XJ. It goes to arbitration in July, not once has the fact it's lifted came up. Both companies have pictures of both vehicles. Metlife (owner of Dakota) is coming after USAA (my company) for the 20% they think I'm liable for since I still hit the guy after he ran the red light. Yes my XJ used to have that crappy Bendix ABS which was totally scary. There's a reason they have a lifetime warantee on that. Now it's got 95 dual master cyl and upgraded brakes, stops WAY better. Actually left skid marks with 33's.

Back