• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ cutting out....

bizkit642

NAXJA Forum User
The ONLY time it does it is taking off from a stop, it sputters for just a quick second, and then all is good.

Anything common on these Renix motors?

-Andrew

TPS sensor going bad.

yea i second that, same thing happened to me, do you find that your tranny dosent downshift when you stomp on the pedal at highway speeds?

joeyschribar said:
yea i second that, same thing happened to me, do you find that your tranny dosent downshift when you stomp on the pedal at highway speeds?

Well kinda, this is the first time I've driven it since I bought it LOL 2 months ago.

I haven't even gotten up to highway speeds.

-Andrew

I wouldn't neccesarily say it's your TPS, though it could be a possibility. My '89 does the same thing, usually only when it's cold though. I've tested 3 TPS's with the same results. Hell I've had my TPS at .69 volts, at .7 volts and .8 volts and it hasn't really changed a thing. However it could be low fuel pressure.

Well replaced the TPS from another XJ I have sitting around. It fixes the being able to downshift on highway speeds, but still stutters taking off. How do you correctly adjust this or do you think I have other issues?

-Andrew

There are many TPS failure symptoms. How do you know the other TPS is good?

Hesitation anywhere in the throttle range from idle to WOT can be a bad spot on the TPS. Also poor electrical contacts anywhere between the TPS and the ECU * can cause hesitation at take off. Hesitation during initial acceleration can be an O2 sensor going bad, specifically giving a slow response causing the hesitation, but working well enough to seem to be working and thus not giving a CEL yet. (* Note Renix was an ECU, Chrysler renamed it a PCM in 1996, OBD-II, I beleive).

The only other place I have seen this is a loose or leaking vacuum line to the MAP sensor, especially the connection at the bottom side of the throttle body. MAP sensor rarely fails.

Bad plug wires and bad rotors and caps can cause hesitation and misses, but it is usually more widespread, not just at idle take off. Same for low pressure, it usually shows up at more widespread rpms and acceleration conditions.

How about a sticking, or leaking EGR valve?????

A bad EGR will usually raise it's ugly head at idle too. It would have a really hard time idling and taking off.

I'm pretty sure a vac leak could cause hesitation..

Back