• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ electrical issues

RedApe

NAXJA Forum User
Preface:
Used SEARCH function, and found some decent info....but nothing quite like this.

Story
Hi everyone,
Hoping that someone can give us some feedback...starting to run out of ideas on what to try and look for.
We drove the XJ to the coast this in the middle of May. Staying over in Kelowna, we then took the Coq. Connector from West Bank to Merit. About 15Km’s from Merrit, the fuse for the instrument cluster blew for the first time. Doh! Continued driving another 5 Kms, when I could start to smell that we were getting close to overheating. I stopped, found the thermostat was stuck closed. Removed, continued to Merit and replaced thermostat at Napa, bought fuses. Still blowing them.
Has not boiled over since I’ve owned it, and with the new thermostat, I’m running as cool as any other XJ.
Symptoms:
Blowing the #17 circuit in the fuse block repeatedly, and can be replicated. The fuse is a 7.5A. Gauge cluster and overhead console stop working (obviously).
Put new fuse in, sit in Park till the cows come home....I’m fine.
Rev to any RPM in park, no problem.
Put in Reverse at a stop, no problem. Drive in R under power of torque converter (TC) no problem. Accelerate in R, no problem.
Put in Drive, at a stop, no problem. Drive forward under TC, no problem. Accelerate....kaboom. Regardless of whether I accelerate like I was wheeling, from a stop light, or at the drag strip in Skaggit, WA, I blow the fuse everytime. From a stop, I get about 6-24” in distance before it fries. Ugh.
Trans shifts as good as it ever has. Engine is not missing, running lean or rich. All other features and operations are normal.
What’s been done:
Disconnect each sensor, one at a time, and retry: dies on all. Dismantled dash, disco’d first the gauges with new fuse, then idiot lights, then tried with BOTH disco’d: same result. At this point, I don’t think it’s the cluster. ?
Other work done recently
Steering knuckle on passenger side was replaced, due a stripped calliper mount hole. ABS sensor reside here.
Front DS was taken out, and Ujoints replaced at Pat’s. Tcase fluid was changed, front yoke swapped, and yoke seal.
Drivers side front fog light was hit by rock on the way to Kel, blew bulb.
Can’t draw a line between any of these and what’s going on right now.
Rig details:
94 XJ
4.0L
AW4
Gauge cluster contains:
Speedo, trip, oil pressure, cooling system temp, Alt charge
Idiot Lights:
Tcase, park brake, ABS, wind washer fluid low etc
Other:
Overhead console, outside temp and direction.

So, I’m the first to admit that I’m not an elec genius (or any other genius). Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: 94 XJ electrical issues

Rubbed wires it was.
After countless hours of hopeless searching, and killing a set of AA's in my mini mag lite.....

Local Chrysler dealer drop off this morning....

2 hours for their tech to find it. Keyless remote entry & engine start was installed by a PO, and the antenna was installed on the drivers side rear window. Wire was run across dash to passenger side, up A pillar to headliner, back to pillar between Fr/Rr doors, across to drivers side, and down. The wire's rear facing surface has been making conact with the threads of one of the bolts that holds the factory roof rack on the drivers side. Finally wore through the insulation layer of the wire, and started arc'ing. So, this is why it was only seen moving in a forward direction, under acceleration.
tongue.gif

ugh...humbled.

Thats a tough one, sometimes we have to give in to the authorities, sorry but at least not too pricey for the peace of mind.

Back