• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What axle is this?

Dude, what happened to the front of that poor thing? Look at the front tires!

Looks like someone is junkyard shopping. Let me triangulate and figure out which yard it is and get there. :)

markw said:
Looks like someone is junkyard shopping. Let me triangulate and figure out which yard it is and get there. :)

I recognize it, Ridgecrest, CA!
If you can get there before Zero, its yours :)

markw said:

You wouldn't...or would you?

Besides...I just went there and its closed til Monday.

Tick Tick Tick Tick....:wow:

Looks to have a nice T-Case skid as well. Might wanna grab it to.

:wave:

I dont think thats the factory skid on the tank, the factory skid goes over the straps. I would buy the axle if the price is right and get the skid for the heck of it.

If its plastic its a cover i'm guessing.

The real deal is a metal "boxed" cover around the tank.

Hammered said:
ok so the holes I'm looking at are maybe drilled into the gas Tank I guess.

my OEM Tank skid looks kinda like that.
I'm going to be civil and explain why that is the plastic cover you are looking at in the OP's link so that others will know when they are at the junk yard looking.

The factory plastic cover is held on by the straps, for which you can plainly see are under the cover shown. The factory tank skid goes over the tank, cover, straps and is bolted to the frame rails using the same holes as the factory hitch. The tank skid does have drain holes in nearly the same place as the factory cover, that would only make sense. Here is a pic of one of my factory tank skids.

tankskidbb0.jpg

Here is a the rest of a complete factory skid plate package;

T-case skid
tcaseskidkf8.jpg

Front engine skid
frontskidbr9.jpg

Just got back from the junkyard. The guy wanted $350 for the assembly. I respectfully declined considering I would still have to spend the afternoon pulling the thing out. He said he could pull the axles and sell them for 100 each. The gears for 100 and the housing for 250.

I said...whatever and left without asking about the transfer case skid plate.

So...its still available at the County Line wrecking yard in Ridgecrest CA.

xjtrailrider said:
I'm going to be civil and explain why that is the plastic cover you are looking at in the OP's link so that others will know when they are at the junk yard looking.

tankskidbb0.jpg

Here is a the rest of a complete factory skid plate package;

Front engine skid
frontskidbr9.jpg
Oh thanks for your Mercyful reply... As I said I have the Gas tank skid (and Front skid Plate) But thanks... the holes threw me off *** sorry for the confusion.

I need to remove my entire rear Rigid bumper to put my tank skid on... thats gonna take a whole day.

What years have the d44 rear? Or did only the ones with a tow package come with the d44? Say I happen to find a d44 out of a Grand Wagoneer. Is it just as easy to swap in as the coveted XJ d44?

Nice finds. Makes me want to hit the closest pick-n-pull.:D

Back