• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

block or shackle?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Just ordered re 4.5 inch rear springs ($280-good price??) to replace my bastard packs and 3 inch blocks :scared: . I think another inch will be require to level it after, is a one inch block okay or should I go with a 1 inch shackle?

You may not need to worry about it. RE leafs tend to net more than stated. Shackles will allow more room for the springs to flatten out (flex), though. So in your case the longer shackle would work better than the block.

Last edited:
there's gotta be about 20 threads on this that all say the same thing. even wrt to the RE leaf packs netting more lift than they say. you'll even learn that after long term heavy use, they tend to sag some. use the search next time.

bcmaxx said:
What? springs sag over time??
...yes

RE normally starts 1 - 1.5" higher and saggs to about the advertised height.

Go with greasable shackles over blocks.

yossarian19 said:
...yes

RE normally starts 1 - 1.5" higher and saggs to about the advertised height.

Go with greasable shackles over blocks.
yup going with shackles, my last set of leafs sagged almost 2 inches over a couple years.

Blocks + a really solid traction bar aren't the end of the world, but there are better solutions to a "insufficient lift" sort of problem...

Back