• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock sliders basic vs tubed

Maz

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get a set of rock sliders and have read everything on the forum that I could find on them. I have narrowed my search down to basic AJ or JCR products, around $200, that don’t have the extended bars, nerfs, side tubes, whatever. They fit my budget and I like the rather tucked-in look.

But, in terms of wheeling use and functionality, what am I going to loose by not having extensions on the sliders? Is it just protection against leaning on obstacles (rocks, etc), or is there some other situation that I don’t see here. My need is to protect rockers from coming down hard on rocks on some moderate trails.

Also, since I couldn’t find dimensions, do guys know how far the AJ and the JCR sliders extend out, say from the frame rail?

TIA

I have the JCR stage 2s on mine. I love them, haven;t had them on there that long..in fact it was almost to late my rockers were in bad shape lol. The extra tube sticks out past the door handles and keeps trees from caving in your doors. Works like a charm as I have slid over into a couple of trees since I got them and no damage.

Only think I don't like is the mounting, which seems to be the same for them all. I get some noise from them and I am afraid to tighten the self tappers anymore. I think i will weld them on but not so much that I can't grind the welds out if I need to.

mud1059 said:
Doesn't sound like you've looked at "rocker replacement."

3"x6" square stock. Cap the ends. It's the only way to go.
It's not the only way to go by any means. A hard hit on the rocker replacements can still push the replaced rocker into your doors. This is however, a great way to do things if you're going to tie a cage into them.

It is by no means the end all to rocker protection.

I've got the AJ's. They tuck in fairly well. The bars extending out from the square tube will keep your doors off things. Since your in CA, if you ever wheel with the socal guys you have a good chance of body damage. :) I like AJ's as they put the square tube right under the rocker, so you can land HARD and not damage the rocker. Like at 4:30 in this video, those are AJ's and yes it scratched the paint a little. :)

gregmondro said:
It's not the only way to go by any means. A hard hit on the rocker replacements can still push the replaced rocker into your doors. This is however, a great way to do things if you're going to tie a cage into them.

It is by no means the end all to rocker protection.

No more talky for you. Yes it is.

BlueCuda said:
....... and I am afraid to tighten the self tappers anymore.

Why? not enough meat on the frame rail? Is there a better mounting system besides welded-on or self-taping screws? Who makes them?

Maz said:
Why? not enough meat on the frame rail? Is there a better mounting system besides welded-on or self-taping screws? Who makes them?
I used nut-certs on both my rigs,no problems in 8 years!

On my 95 I welded 4 1/2" t-nuts in the slots just behind the LCA mount and just in front of the front leaf spring pocket.They fit perfectly and the framerail is reinforced at those points.
94750a583_70.gif

mud1059 said:
Doesn't sound like you've looked at "rocker replacement."

3"x6" square stock. Cap the ends. It's the only way to go.

Hey Mud,

Do you have any pics?? I'm sure a few people people here would like to see the setup.

E

gregmondro said:
A hard hit on the rocker replacements can still push the replaced rocker into your doors.

Not true, when they are welded to the pinch seam and the bottem of the door sills they hold up great, if you need more then brace them to the sub frame.

-Alex

RCP Phx said:
I used nut-certs on both my rigs,no problems in 8 years!

I'd love to see some details and how2. I like the idea very much. How did you get nut-certs inside, where did you buy them, etc? Can you tell us more, maybe some pics.

I guess now I am thinking which mounting system would be the most rigid for using the sliders as jacking point.

Thanks

I wouldn't hesitate to use mine as a jacking point, they are installed per JCRs instructions.

I chim in for AJs offroad. I have his 3/16 Super Sliders. These are pure beef, install was easy and they are strong as hell.

Maz said:
I'd love to see some details and how2. I like the idea very much. How did you get nut-certs inside, where did you buy them, etc? Can you tell us more, maybe some pics?
I guess now I am thinking which mounting system would be the most rigid for using the sliders as jacking point. Thanks
I dont have any pics,but I got the tool at ACE. Its just a GIANT pop-riveter,mine goes up to 5/16-16",but they make them bigger.
w69-PNT110.jpg

xjjeepthing said:
I chim in for AJs offroad. I have his 3/16 Super Sliders. These are pure beef, install was easy and they are strong as hell.

AJ's work great, my wife and grandkids use them to get in with.. I have used the crap out of mine

RCP Phx said:
I dont have any pics,but I got the tool at ACE. Its just a GIANT pop-riveter,mine goes up to 5/16-16",but they make them bigger.
w69-PNT110.jpg
RCP Phx; thanks for the info.

Is this the setup you are referring to?

http://www.hansonrivet.com/w64.htm

W64_ROE4.GIF

Thats a rivet nut(almost the same thing),this is a nut-cert......
98560a541_detail.gif

Back