• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87' Comanche 2wd to 4wd CONFIRMATION

JPWilson

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and I don't believe this belongs in the OEM section. My 16 year old brother just picked up a 87' Comanche Sport Truck and I wanted to help him locate the parts for a bolt-in 4wd swap. Specs (as is sits): 2wd, 2.5L 4-cyl., 4-spd, shortbox, D35, no P/S, no power anything, dummy gauges, 40K miles (not a typo), bought from original owner.

I wheel a Zuk, but I drive a 99' XJ (130K) daily. I know some Jeep info, but I wanted some input on if this combo I had in mind will work. I know that he wants to keep the 2.5L. Here is what I was thinking for him: 4-cyl AX-15 from an early XJ-YJ (1990 ish? external or internal slave cylinder?), NP231 from the same donor, later model Dana 30 from an XJ, 8.25 (for easy SPOA and strength), along with the front driveshaft, gauge cluster from an Pre-90' XJ with the non :wstupid: gauges, and I have read that the PS off an XJ will work with a spacer.
Am I forgetting anything?
Can I use a 4 OR 6 cyl. AX-15? Are they much longer that the current 4 spd?
Is the spring pad spacing and brake line set-up the same on XJ's or do they differ from the MJ's?
Will an additional crossmember need to be added?

Let me know if this sounds like a good idea. I'd rather have him working on it and having fun wheeling it, than doing other things a bored 16 year old would do:explosion . Thanks in advance for any input!:cheers:

It just so happens that I am doing the exact same thing...trucks are IDENTICAL. Front axle assembly from a MJ or XJ is a bolt in swap. The rear axle on a MJ is different from a XJ in that it is spring under AND the spring spacing is different...You most likely have a 4.10 gear in the stock turdyfive..use it till it breaks (a 16 year old with a manual tranny will break a 35)...after that, either find a MJ axle or swap in a 8.8 from a Exploder...ok tranny...the AX15 will not bolt up to the stock bellhousing...but it can be done...i will post a link later today (from 4x4 wire i think..the link is on my computer at work..it sucks getting old) that details how it's done...it involves a Dodge Dakota bellhousing and careful selection of parts and minor mods...the alternative (what I am going to do) is to use a A-904 auto trans...does not need computer control and A LOT easier on parts, and it will handle obstacles a LOT easier (assuming you are not going to 4:1 t-case) OR find a AW-4 that fits a 2.5 and get a manual shift controller from Brett...I understand they built some, but like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...I have never actually seen one...Crash is gonna flame me for the slushbox recommendation:shhh: . In either case...save all the little small parts from the donor truck...shifter, linkages, bolts, etc...you will need them all to complete the project. Oh yeah...the 2.5 is just what a 16yr old needs...will do well on the trail, but not a rocket on the street...and durable as hell to boot.

Last edited:
Several friends and I just did a swap onto a 90 MJ 2.5L 4-speed 2wd. We had a donor 89 Cherokee to complete the 4.0, AW4, 4wd swap. It really wasn't so bad. 99% of the stuff bolted up just fine, and if there wasn't a mounting hole the sheet metal was dimpled where it was supposed to be. In the end it was a 90 MJ 4.0 Aw4 4wd With cherokee console and full guage cluster all topped off with a 6" lift. Took us exactly one month to complete it. Made me want an MJ very bad.

Don't be scared to do the swap :).

MudDawg said:
a 16 year old with a manual tranny will break a 35

that is not true i have had my mj for 2yrs since i was 16 and i drive it like i stole it and yes ilike to show off(peel out when shifting) and thats with 31s and stock 4.0 w/307, if i was him i would look for a donor cherokee with a 4.0, i know plenty of people that regret having a 2.5

Last edited:
You are one lucky fella there Dan...I see 35s with manual trans snap pretty regular at the mudhole...but most of them are locked.

The info on the AX-15 to 2.5 swap is on Pirate 4x4...on the boards..search for..." 2.5L---AX15 swap update! " (sorry for some reason I can't get it to link...but then again i'm a computer moron).

Back