• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sunroof/roof concern

railroadjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy all,
I noticed a thread some time back about the structual strength of the XJ roof and how the sheetmetal, well I don't want to start that debate again.
What I discovered the other day when I pulled my headliner down is the goons that installed the sunroof on the (then it was my parents) XJ cut the crossmember out of the roof between the two B pillars.
Now, since the sunroof is leaking, rattling and the gasket on the moving part is falling off, I'm thinking I want to pull it out and make like a more or less permanent sunlight type thing of just patch it with sheetmetal. But this is not what I'm really concerned about right now
My main concern is wheeling with that crossmember gone. Like in the event I do go over somewhere. So priority now is estimating the safety risk this hack job poses me. And what I could possibly do to fix it.

Thanks
Chris O.

don't worry about the crossmember, doesn't do much i could bend that flimsy-ass thing over my grandmas boney knee...the sunroof frame adds more than what that thing used to do...if you go over, you have other things to worry about........besides, what dd you expect the "goons " to do? the sunroof was ordered to go in, the crossmember was in the way.....somthing had the give right? not really hack.

just make sure the corner tabs that tie-into the corner channels are secure and in good shape.

True, they were ordered to put in it, I just thought maybe they could have done it a bit nicer. This was more like it was partially cut then bent and chopped out. I swear my sister could've done a better job with a shovel. Then again, no one really would see it so cosmetics would be thier last priority.
If that cross member really is that crappy then I guess I shall have to look into fixing the beast, since it is sorta nice to have.

Thanks
Chris

I was given a free 88 xj to use for my chopttop project....it had a big electric sunrrof on it.....mine was the same dam way, looked totally hack, but they got the job done. No way in hell did I want that heavy flappin thing over my head, so I ripped it out and went to a basic "pop up/pop out" style......the thing was, I could not find one that would fit exactly the old hole....so, I welded in a new pc of shhet metal, and recut a new hole that fit what I eventually bought....I built two new REAL crossmembers, and I can stand on the roof right where the bow-front sunroof frame is....no flex......a fair amount of work to get that far though......

Back