• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1" blocks for spacers on rear springs

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Before everyone yells no, hear me out. I know everyone says blocks are bad, but I remember reading somewhere that 1" were not really an issue.

I have a 97 4dr XJ, with a 4 year old 3.5 RE lift with FULL springs, no AAL. When new, it sat a little high in the back.... which I like. I carry LOTS of tools, have rock sliders, 3 roll out shelves with slide out table, 2 fire extinguishers, 1 CO2 tank, a roof rack with my tire and hi-lift are on the roof.... shortly after putting lift on, it started to sag a bit in the rear, so I added longer shackels, looked great again.

Now I over built a gas tank skid out of 3/16 and 1/4 and it wieghs 80lbs, with the hitch, its over 120lbs. Anyway, the XJ is just below level, and I think about 1" would get me back where I want. I know I should just buy some 4.5 springs, but for now, what would be the problem with blocks? Do they make them with degree shims built in? Someday I may have to buy the 4.5's.

Where should I get some blocks?

Sorry for the ramblings and all the questions. Please don't reply if your just gonna yell NO with no reasoning. Thanks.

Not knowing too much about blocks, you could use more leafs from a dakota (cut the eyes off and there perfect length and width) or s10 to put into you packs, just a suggestion

Put a heavy front bumper and winch on it and it should level out just fine.

1" blocks aren't going to cause you too much trouble, just make sure to use steel ones not aluminum.

What length shackle are you currently running?

i say build the leaf pack. since your spring are sagging that mean that there gettin a little weaker and adding blocks would add spring wrap and cause more problems then you had in the first place. am i right? some one correct me if i'm wrong,

userbmx1315 said:
i say build the leaf pack. since your spring are sagging that mean that there gettin a little weaker and adding blocks would add spring wrap and cause more problems then you had in the first place. am i right? some one correct me if i'm wrong,

you are right about the sagging meaning weakening springs, but there's also a lot more weight back there now with his hitch and skid. you are also right about the block adding more wrap and causing a lot of problems.

however, i don't know if building the pack is the best solution. it depends what he uses it for the most. building it would be best for carrying loads, like he mentioned that he does, but if he also likes to rock crawl, then building is not the best option. stiffer, more arched packs carry loads better, but flatter packs flex better. another option, if you have access to fab tools, relocate your shackle mounts and add a longer shackle, or just move them down. if you were going to move them at all, i'd put them more forward, which would allow for use of a longer shackle with proper shackle angle and still retains the softness of the spring while making the ride height the desired amount of lift. i have also seen adjustable shackle mounts, for different length shackles. also look into boomerang shackles, if you don't have fab skills or tools. there are lots of options, it just depends what you use it most for, and there is no holy grail of leaf packs, though some may claim there to be. there are cheap ones though! :cheers:

I use it as my daily driver AND my trail rig. Love the softness it has now.... rides better than it did stock! I have OME shocks and love em.

I don't remember what length shackels I have now, but I think they were 1.5 longer than stock. Since a shackle only gets ya about 1/2 of the raise, wouldn't I need like a 3.5 LONGER than stock?.... thats pretty long!

If I wanted to use the longer blocks that help prevent axle wrap, where could I get those?

I don't think I would/could fab a new shackle mount. Unless someone makes a kit.....

i think adding to your existing leaf pack would be the best route here. add some stiff leaves to it since youve got so much weight riding on it all the time.

I had the same scenario with the same problem. I ran 1" steel blocks for years. I did not have problems with wrap (they were under an RE 4.5" spring pack).

In fact, i have more wrap now, with the RE 5.5" HD leafs and no real load (i don't carry much anymore) than I did with the RE 4.5" leafs and a block.

Amazing. He asked about LIFT blocks not about changing the damn springs.

I ran 2in lift blocks for a year and didn't have any problems at all.

You can run the blocks but check your U-bolts for length. You want to have full nut engagement on the threads. A block may put you at or over length and force you into needing new U-bolts.

Given all the bad press on lift blocks, I have had a PITA trying to sell my 2" set with built in angle correction with u-bolts.

BRIANHO13 said:
I ran 1" blocks with 37"s and ate 9" yokes up, until I added a traction bar.

Do you blame the blocks for that, or the leafs they were on?

BRIANHO13 said:
I ran 1" blocks with 37"s and ate 9" yokes up, until I added a traction bar.
1" blocks on a 9" is more akin to 2-3" blocks on a smaller axle. I didn't have any trouble until I switched to my 9". Between the larger dia axle tube, the perches sitting higher and the block on top of that, the distance from the axle centerline to the bottom of the spring is greatly increased.

BRIANHO13 said:
My leafs are very soft so it was probably a combo of the leafs, blocks and tires.

*nod*

I'm having wrap problems now with my current leafs and no block. They are very soft and I tend to wheel it a bit harder than I used to.

I've got an Nth degree mobility pinion skid, that if I wrap too hard will hit the driveshaft. "doh".

Bouncy said:
Amazing. He asked about LIFT blocks not about changing the damn springs.

blocks wont solve the problem here. the problem here is too much weight on spring that are designed to have good flex with less weight on them. strengthening the springs is the fix. cut and dry.

Last edited:
Back