• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped track bar axle end bolt

megabyte5689

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I've ran into a serious problem, at the axle end bolt I started cranking at it and then I heard a squeak and it started squeaking some more and well I think I may have stripped it half way down. My problem now is that I can't get the bolt out. What should I do?

cut it off

others have done it and its a pain but can be done.

That sucks. Suspension parts always break, which is why, I think, your shop wanted to charge you 250 bucks to replace that track bar.

When I did my lift, I think I used a large flat screw driver to pry out the bolt. Lube that beyotch up good and pry out while turning the bolt. You mentioned you had the nut plate (flag?) out, right?

ya that fell right out, now the stupid thing is stuck, it turns but it won't come out. I really can't think of anything that I could cut that with, except a pair of bolt cutters. Even if I were to use bolt cutters how would go about this.

i didn't chatch that you hav the nut off of it. i would do as stated above then. use something to push the bolt out while spinning it.

Perhaps a flat head screwdriver under the bolt head, pry on it while turning might get it to back out.

You may also be able to burn the old bushing out and heat the sleeve enough to get the bolt unstuck.

I have also had the bolt rust/weld to the sleeve. Sleeve broke loose from the rubber and just spun.

Grind head of bolt off, use metabo grinder with blade or sawzall to cut bolt inside of the bracket so you can lift the track bar out of the bracket.

After its out, replace bushing, or use punch to get bolt out of sleeve.

My neighbor came over and helped me and we took some vise grips and clamped them on behind the head of the bolt and started hitting them with a hammer. came right out after 20 hits. My trackbar is shot. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get it out of the part where the nut pin were. I already got the nut and pin out, now I just need to get the long piece out where the nut and pin went on.

I'm done with the axle end now, I've already gotten the nut with the clip that goes through it off. I have the axle end side of the track bar off now, and currently I'm in the process of pulling the other side of the track bar off. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting this other side off?

megabyte5689 said:
how would I do this?

stop running back to the computer every time you hit a snag in the project dude..
the rod-end that had the castle nut and cotter pin on it is a tapered bolt. get a big hammer and pound it down... sometimes need a little heat...

As Sidriptide posted...; the tierod end of the tracbar has a taper fit....
Once the cotter pin and castle nut are removed....; you should be able to take a small sledge hammer and smack the area where the tierod end inserts into the uni frame mount. This will momentarily deform the hole and allow the tierod bolt to slide out of the hole....
Several HARD smacks may be necessary to loosen the tie rod end.

A pickle fork worked pretty well on my XJ to pop the frame end loose.

When I replaced my track bar I bought a new bolt and re-tapped the nut because it seemed impossible to replace. DO NOT DO THIS.
When I re-tapped the nut it comprimised the structural rigidity of it and it ended up snapping loose while I was driving. I pulled over and my trackbar was hanging about 4" off the ground.
DANGEROUS

I ended up just buying a normal nylon lock nut and using it. When I need to take it off it's not so bad to stick a boxwrench into that hole.

Back