• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Cliff Dwellings of Comb Ridge

Handlebars

NAXJA Member #135
Comb Ridge is a monocline that runs for about 50 miles on the north side of the San Juan River. While it served as a barrier for the early white settlers of the area, the Anasazi made it their home 800 years before and left an abundance of petroglyphs and cliff dwellings. There are no trails or signs showing the way to them and they see few visitors, so this is an opportunity to see these ruins in a natural, undisturbed state. I used one of Michael Kelsy’s great guidebooks to find some.

Comb Ridge’s scalloped west wall, this gives you an idea of the strange structure of this ridge:
orig.jpg

The east side has a more gradual slope but is incised by dozens of short canyons that make perfect locations for cliff dwellings. Look carefully for the petroglyph panel here:
orig.jpg

Closeups:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

This small building was a thrill to access, you have to creep along the slanted ledge in the background while the overhanging cliff wall tries to push you off.
orig.jpg

Artifacts are all over the ground at some locations. This looks like a broken mano:
orig.jpg

This majestic cliff dwelling perched under the end of a box canyon and had a large pool at its foot
orig.jpg

I only spent a few hours exploring this 20 mile stretch of Comb Ridge, a weekend would make a good visit with many short, off trail hikes.

DrMoab said:
Wow, yes way cool.

I did notice that even as remote as they may be, they still get shot at.

Jerks. :smsoap:

One of the clues archaeologists watch for when looking for rock art panels are bullet pock marks. Sad but true. That particular panel is not far off the dirt road, I have been there also. Some cool glyphs there, very artistic.

IntrepidXJ said:
On another note, I just ordered this book today on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594850054

Sandstone Spine: Seeking the Anasazi on the First Traverse of the Comb Ridge
Thanks for the tip Randy! I picked it up at the library last night and am already 1/4 of the way through it. It's a really well written adventure that gives me that sunbuned, sand between the toes feeling of actually being there. :thumbup:

Alex were these from your previous trip up on the way to Arch Canyon?

Can't remember if I mentioned this when I saw you on top the Moki Dugway, I went hiking from that campground on Comb Wash south of 95 and found some ruins pretty quickly. I'll bet there are plenty more right between Comb wash and Cedar Mesa as well.

Here is the halfway point of a 17-18 mile day hike into Salt Creek Canyon in Canyonlands. It is called the Four Faces Panel.

All American Man about 3/4 mile from Four Faces.

Moon House up on Cedar Mesa. By far the best ruin I have ever seen!
These pictures are from a trip in 2007.

Handlebars said:
Those are great, Von! Did you hike all of the way through Salt Creek or do it as an out-n-back?

Out and back from the top near Cathedral Butte. That was the fourth time I have done this hike. On a side note I now have my frame welded up, C-ROK upgrade kit installed, though not welded in yet, and a steering box brace on the heep. :)

Back