• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 starting issues..code 22?

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
Hi Guys,

My 1996 4.0 MT (178K) has developed a starting problem. I went out this evening to hook up my trailer to the XJ and the XJ didn't want to fire. The first few times, I just got a clickin sound and thought the battery was gone. then she started to turn over, but wouldn't fire. If I hit the gas she'll fire up, but stall out as soon as I let off the pedal.

After about 20 seconds of running, I got her to hold and idle fine. Turned off and started back up no problem. However the Check engine light stays on and a decient ammount of black crap came out the tail-pipe. I did the quick on/off CEL code check and got I think 22 (coolant sensor?) and 55. The Lighte went= I-(long pause)-II-II-IIIII-IIIII-IIIIII. After the sixth and final flash, the light went solid. this happened this evening, and with no warning. Checked the oil, and it looks good, cooland looks OK, not sure if I am reading the codes properly. Tried searching and found mostly overheating issues with code 22.

Thanks for any Help,

I'm supposed to pick up an old BSA tomorrow and hope to be able to before it's gone.

I think you should recheck the lights. The final sequence should be a 5-5, signaling the end of the codes. I'm not sure what the 6 means.

If you can, you may want to try an OBD scanner to pull the codes (if you can get borrow one, or get to a parts store).

If I "adjust" the pauses and ditch the last flash, it looks like 12 (battery power lost), 25 (Auto Idle Speed Motor), 55 (end of messages). A bad AIS could cause the hard starting. The black smoke is the extra fuel pumped in while cranking getting burned out once it starts. Does it continue smoking?

Saudade said:
If I "adjust" the pauses and ditch the last flash, it looks like 12 (battery power lost), 25 (Auto Idle Speed Motor), 55 (end of messages). A bad AIS could cause the hard starting. The black smoke is the extra fuel pumped in while cranking getting burned out once it starts. Does it continue smoking?

Thanks,

I'll see if I can get a code reader. That interpretation of the readings makes more sence. The vehicle stoped smoking after about a minute. Seems to be running a bit rough right now. plenty of power, just rough at idle.

Back