• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions about tires and rims....

milehigh

NAXJA Forum User
im having issues with my current setup on my 2000 xj, 15x8's with 235 75's. they rub on the back when fully loaded, ie two people in the back with gear in the rear. going over big bumps i get the tires scrapping on the flares. took it to the tire shop yesterday to try on some 15x7's, well looked like they would still rub. guy at the shop tells me that the stock offset wont fit on there and the 15x7 0 offset was the max with 235's, i coulda swore that they would. whats the offset on stock rims? anyone running the same size tire? does it fit with out lifting it? if so what size rims are you running?

btw ive lifted it 1.5" in the back, i know i could go with a better set of springs in the rear and probly clear with 2" and less travel from better springs, but thats more money$$$ and work, considering i already went through the hassel of lifting it once.

I have stock 15x8 canyon(i think) rims and I have BFG AT's-31x15x10.5 with no clearance problems with about 3 inch lift in the rear.Even loaded hauling my boat,no problem.....Could it be that metric tire size?

5 new rims $$$ < new rear springs $$$? okay....?

well it is more money to do springs because the 15x8's that are on there are only a few months old which means i turn around and sell them to mostly pay for the new rims, its about 250 total to have them balanced and mounted. where as new springs all the way around = 400 range. difference of atleast 300.

as far as the travel goes i think i am nearing the end with the 1.5" in the rear, i really dont wanna go over 2" otherwise i could say f*@& it and go for the 3" and clear for sure.

so what is the stock offset? i think the stock offset will fit, if i have the numbers i can order a set through the shop and not deal with this "well ive been doing this for for 20 years they wont fit...."

i run 235 75's on 15x7.5's and do not rub. I have no lift at this time and am regularly hauling a bunch of crap in the back and a xj full of family. Even loaded down to go camping with a full roof rack and a spare tire up top no prob.

milehigh said:
well it is more money to do springs because the 15x8's that are on there are only a few months old which means i turn around and sell them to mostly pay for the new rims, its about 250 total to have them balanced and mounted. where as new springs all the way around = 400 range. difference of atleast 300.

I picked up a low miles good condition set of XJ 'up country' leafs off of a 2000 last week, for free. I had to turn down two other sets when word got out I was looking.

Free is cheaper than $250.

Ask around.

thats a good point this forum i imagine is a good resource for that stuff. guess i dont think of springs a commonly sold used item. of course i am new to this 4x4 thing. im use to wrenching on old school cars. i went to the tire shop today and had those tires put on a stock size rim offset as well and they still didnt clear. so lifting 2" all the way around with stronger springs in the rear should take care of it.

You have several solutions that have not been mentioned yet. But before we go to fixing the rubbing, it would be best to understand what the real issue is.

1. Stock BS 15x7 rims I believe is 4.5" (I am going totally from the top of my head, someone double check my memory).
2. What is your 1.5" lift? Blocks, shackle, aal? (This could be the complete issue right here!)
3. If you are happy with everything (ride, height, flex, etc) exept for the rubbing then why not put in longer bumpstops, this is cheap, easy, and fixes everything without any issues.
4. If you want more load capability or more height then put in stiffer springs or AAL or other spring solution to stop them from rubbing and get more load capability.
5. Depending on your 1.5" lift it might make more sense to take it out and switch to another type of lift to get better performance from the springs.

All of these are very inexpensive and easy solutions that don't require a bunch of time or money and will easily cure your issues.

Michael

first off, stock backspacing on rims is 5.25" i believe. Second, an 8" wide rim from my understanding is way too wide of a rim for that tire, really sounds like the 15x7 would be a better option (really sounds like going back to a factory style rim would suit your needs better). Third, stock xj's easily fit 235/75's so measure your "lift" height...should be 17" from center of wheel to edge of flare factory. Take your measurement, subtract 17 and should be your lifted height, you might find that even lifted doesnt bring you back up to stock height if your springs are in bad shape, which you would need to replace your springs! Any pictures?

well from what ive gathered its the rear springs i think they are worn out, i put lift blocks in there, which im sure is making the problem worse. sitting as it is the springs sit flat or arched slightly up. so the right way to fix this is new springs. i still find it weird that 235 75's fit on a stock jeep. with the rims that were on there yesterday it sure looked like it would rub specially if it was at stock height. but if people are running em no problem then its a problem with my setup. as far as the 15x8's go and well how this all started was that i took someones word that "oh yeah ive been doing this for 20 years, theyll fit no problem" well after putting some miles on it and finding that they dont fit when the suspension is working, well too late to return em, so i lifted it to fix the problem. well guess i shouldnt have been cheap and used the lift blocks, cuz now i gotta do it all over again. guess thats what i get for being a trusting person, i normally verify this kinda stuff myself as im a do it yourself kinda guy. im in college and work fulltime and had bald tires in denver during the winter, well i need to take care of it quick and go figure it opened up a can of worms.

milehigh said:
well from what ive gathered its the rear springs i think they are worn out, i put lift blocks in there, which im sure is making the problem worse. sitting as it is the springs sit flat or arched slightly up. so the right way to fix this is new springs. i still find it weird that 235 75's fit on a stock jeep. with the rims that were on there yesterday it sure looked like it would rub specially if it was at stock height. but if people are running em no problem then its a problem with my setup. as far as the 15x8's go and well how this all started was that i took someones word that "oh yeah ive been doing this for 20 years, theyll fit no problem" well after putting some miles on it and finding that they dont fit when the suspension is working, well too late to return em, so i lifted it to fix the problem. well guess i shouldnt have been cheap and used the lift blocks, cuz now i gotta do it all over again. guess thats what i get for being a trusting person, i normally verify this kinda stuff myself as im a do it yourself kinda guy. im in college and work fulltime and had bald tires in denver during the winter, well i need to take care of it quick and go figure it opened up a can of worms.

Theoretically, everything you did should have been fine; but when you start with worn out springs .. you can't get much out of them.

Read up on 'bastard packs' here on naxja. You can build a new rear leaf set for $20 if you are mechanically competant.

really i will look into that, as long as it doesnt require any specialty tools i can handle it. and for the price you cant beat that, thanks!

have you measured yet? you might want to do that and see what you're working with, also a picture of your rear springs would be nice! I can send you a picture of my stock 98 with 235's to ease your mind but it wont help you now ha

milehigh said:

You have probably destroyed your stock springs with that lift block. And you might be lower than stock, either way you are putting alot of extra stress on those springs, particularly with a heavy load in the rear.

The best solution is to get a new pack (either lifted or stock depending on what you want out of it). A bastard pack is another great option if you have the time to find and build the right combo for your puposes.

The easiest, cheapest solution is to get a long AAL and take out the block, hopefully this will "fix" your problem and support the springs until you get a new pack eventually. You might check around locally, there are probably plenty of people who would be willing to give you a used set of stock springs that you could add a AAL to (would be better than starting with your over stressed stock springs).

Michael

2xtreme said:
You have probably destroyed your stock springs with that lift block. And you might be lower than stock, either way you are putting alot of extra stress on those springs, particularly with a heavy load in the rear.

The best solution is to get a new pack (either lifted or stock depending on what you want out of it). A bastard pack is another great option if you have the time to find and build the right combo for your puposes.

The easiest, cheapest solution is to get a long AAL and take out the block, hopefully this will "fix" your problem and support the springs until you get a new pack eventually. You might check around locally, there are probably plenty of people who would be willing to give you a used set of stock springs that you could add a AAL to (would be better than starting with your over stressed stock springs).

Michael

A small lift block won't destroy the springs. Less than 2" won't even really contribute to axle wrap.

Adding an AAL to a dead spring pack will do nothing but waste his money, though.

New pack or bastard pack.

havent measured yet, i will as im curious too. im at work rignt now and leaving from here to the lake for the weekend. so pics will have to wait as well. i just hope i dont run into any problems towing a jetski and having the back loaded up with camping gear. lol yeah right, ill have to take it slow over the bumps. just hope it clears enough to drive it, im the only one with a vehicle that can tow anything.

Back