• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worth buying?

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
One of the salesman where i work has a 1996 4 dr. XJ that he is looking to possibly sell. It is in overall decent shape with some rust in the "usual" places; floorboards, rockers, roof?!? It appears to have a 3-4.5" lift with spacers in front and shackles in the rear. it has a t-case drop, swaybar lowering blocks, aftermarket uca's and lca's, adj. trackbar, drop pitman arm, dual steering stabilizers, 32x11.50x15 durango m/t's on american racing wheels, magnaflow muffler (i think), a nice roof rack, and grill guard. is this worth buying? he is asking $1500 for it and it runs and drives. i actually drove it tonight at his farm and everything seems to work good. btw, it has a 4.0, AW4, 231, and 161,000 miles on it. if it seems to be worse that it appears, i was thinking about buying it to put the lift and other accessories on my 97 and put the stock stuff on the 96 to sell. what do you guys think?

I think if your just gonna swap the lift to your 97, spend the 1500 on a good lift that's not spacers and shackles. But that's just me. On the other hand if your 97 is stock and you want to keep it as a nice DD, buy the 96 for your trail rig. I wouldn't buy it to swap stuff around and resell it, that just sounds like a major PITA!

Like I said, it's still gonna be a pain to swap everything over if that is your intent, but that is your choice. You can prolly get close to the same amount re-selling it at the stock height with your old parts. But is it gonna be worth the hassle of tearing down and putting back together 2 rigs? I guess it comes down to what's your time worth? You can prolly break even and get a lift into your 97 but it's gonna cost a lot of time. If you just spend the money on a new kit it's gonna be much less time plus you get warranteed parts.

The whole scenario on just buying a lift and installing it on the 97 is money spent and that's it, done. While, buying the 96 and swapping is cool as long as the lift and other parts are in good shape and not abused too bad. Then you sell the 96 which should bring every dime of $1500 stock if its in decent shape and you have just received a nice bunch of freebies. Moparjim you think like me bud. Buy the '96 and spend some quality time with the wrenches and maybe if you're lucky you may even make yourself some money, then you'll be paying yourself for a lift and stuff. Sweet!!!
Buy it dude buy it

So do you plan on buying it just to swap parts or do you only plan to swap parts if it's in worse shape than you originally thought?

well, if it isn't too bad, i was going to buy it for a dd, and give my fiancee my 97 so she could get rid of her cavalier because she loves my jeep, and i would get a badass rig in the process....but the money thing is a huge factor right now....

moparjim1987 said:
well, if it isn't too bad, i was going to buy it for a dd, and give my fiancee my 97 so she could get rid of her cavalier because she loves my jeep, and i would get a badass rig in the process....but the money thing is a huge factor right now....

that would be a good idea, Jeep is much cooler then the Cav! :D

Back