• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gawd-darn jeep...

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
Sucker won't turn over, put the key in, turn it to start position and nothing. My radio cuts off whenever I turn it as well.. Checked battery, fuel pump comes on, and started makes no click.

NSS has been a lil iffy, have to put it in Neutral to start it a few times a week..

So is it safe to say thats the issue?hasta

sounds of it any chance the battery clamps,cables,connections are a problem.
I have had this happen to me, but when it does it does what your describing, I go wiggle clamps/wires etc and it does it again, repeat until something stays put and it starts up. My clamps have been a problem twice, 2 dif types, both wing nut style clamps used for quick disconnecting.
something to add to the list.

If the radio shuts off when you try to start the NSS is not the problem. Whenever it happens, pop the hood and check if the underhood light is on. If it is not, start wiggling wires and watch the light. When it comes on you have found your problem.

Not neccesarily would the radio turning off be some other issue...

My NSS is being a PITA too. My radio does shut off in the start position, so yes, I believe your NSS is at fault.

Theya re easy to rebuild, just do a search under NSS....

I had the exact problem, wound up being the starter relay/solenoid. I swapped mine for one out of a mid-80s Chrysler, which is a bit heavier.

Damn, now that you mention it, I had the one go out on my 96... But my 96 would turn over, but not get spark. This sucker won't even turn over.

I had a broken battery terminal a while back, and it gave the same symptoms. Took some time to figure it out as the battery was never really dead.

Happened to ours couple weeks ago. Negative battery terminal was loose. Cranked it down hard, no problems since. I was confused, because lights were working fine, but as soon as you went to turn it over, everything went out.

dont forget to check the opposite ends of the battery cables, i just got a car for free because it wouldnt start,it had similar symptoms to what you are talking about. It had new battery connections but the problem wasn't on the battery, it was on the ground where it connected to the block.

My NSS is a dud also but I like it because it is my security system...only I know where I need to place the trans for it to turn over.:guitar:

Back