• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing rear diff fluid

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've never done it before. I need to. Do I just take the diff cover off and drain the fluid? Do I wipe out the diff with a damp cloth? There's definitely some gunk in there that needs to come out. Also, what would I re-seal with? Thanks kindly.

It's pretty easy, but if you have a trac-lok you will have to use synthetic oil and an additive.

Just unbolt the cover, and let it drain into a pan. wipe the inside out with a papertowel to remove sludge. Clean the seal surface with a wire brush or emry cloth. Make sure to remove any RTV sealent. Don't use sealant with putting the cover back on. get a cork or cardboard gasket and put it on dry. You will thank yourself every time you have to get in there afterwards. Once everything is clean, inparticular the sealing edges, then just put on the gasket, bolt it back up, and put in 1-1/2 - 2 bottles of gear oil or until you can reach you finger just inside the fill plug and feel that the oil is up to the plug.

Great. Thanks a lot man. I thought it was that easy, just wanted to make sure. Can I pick the gasket up at Advance Auto or Autozone?

All the above advice is excellent, The only thing I can add is that after it stops draining & I finish cleaning up the old permatex, I like to Spray everything down with brake cleaner, It really gets everything clean!

Well. I changed my rear diff fluid. Thanks for all the advice. I went with Silicone gasket maker for the sealant. Just thought I'd share a pic with everyone.

diffoff.jpg

Back