• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken gear box bolts

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well i was trying to load the xj on the trailer this weekend and all of the bolts that hold the steering gear box on broke leaving me with no steering at all. It even took some of the mounting ears off of the gear box. I went wheeling with a buddy this weekend and measured his pitman arm compared to mine and his drops down about an inch further.

My question is would a different pitman arm allow for less stress being put onto the gear box? I am still running the stock pitman arm that came with my 91 xj. Also, is there an upgrade for a way to beef up the mounts for the gear box? My winch bumper already goes back and gets two of the bolts.

Thanks,
Ben

What size tires, I imagine they worked loose then the added stress broke them.

I am only running 31" boggers. When i get a new gear box should i put some thread locker on the bolts to keep them from coming loose?

Its not a known problem that I'm aware of but it wouldn't hurt, or just check them regularly. Best thing being hydro assist, you'll love it when you eventually do it.

Back