• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door front seat swap info

nonnie

NAXJA Forum User
I want to change the front seats in my '96 2dr XJ. ZJ/WJ seats would be comfy but I would not have the pivot forward to access the back seat:eek: . Ideas please...:lecture: no thanks .

grab a sawzall and a welder, hybridize the seat mounting brackets?
Hell, with enough flat stock, drill bits and bolts you could probably do the same thing. Just chop it all up and re-build it on the swinging brackets, no?

I have seats from a regular 4dr in my 2dr. They do not fold forward, but there is enough movement in the tracks to access the back seat with the seat slid full forward.

I'm not familiar with the 2-dr xj seat brackets, but:

the 4-door brackets are a simple 4 bolt arrangement on the bottom of the seat. So is the TJ, YJ, and CJ. I put YJ seats in a CJ by re-drilling the holes in the swing-over mount. Pull one of your seats out, and unbolt the mount(it's MUCH easier to unbolt the bracket after removing the whole seat) Think about it and get creative. Here's a thought. Check out these videos from Trucks:
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/cheepjeep/cheepjeep.htm
They fit custom seats on the stock brackets with short pieces of square stock. I think it was in the 3rd episode.

The folding mechanism is not in the brackets, but in the seat frame itself. There is no difference in brackets between 2 and 4 door Cheros.

Seats from a Mustang will bolt right in for you, and they will fold.

liliysdad said:
Please, more info on the 'stang seats. Years? SN95? Fox?

SN95 and Fox will interchange with eachother, I believe those are what work. Some guy was selling a writeup for it on ebay a few years back.

Don't late model Wrangler(TJ) seats fold and slide forward on the rails to get into the back?

**IGNORANCE ALERT**

What do you mean by SN95 and Fox? Are they seat manufacturers?

Also, more on the Miata seats please. Would they hold up under wheeling conditions?

Fox body Mustangs are '80's through about '95. SN95 is '95 up, IIRC. Mustangs have often shared the same unibody as other Ford cars, in this case the Fox body was also used in the Zephyr/Fairmonts and others (good news for everyone as the parts are largely interchangeable.) My '66 Mustang shared the same basic unibody with the '59 Falcon through the mid eighties Lincoln Versailles, including the Maverick; the '74 Mustang used the Pinto chassis.

Family lineage in chassis is used by Jeep, too - XJ 84 thru 95, then 96 up. It's that '96 break that throws a wrench in backward compatibility, but then again, lots of interchange with Grand Cherokees doesn't hurt.

Back