• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this normal??

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently moved into a new house and my parking is out the street, which is a pretty steep hill. I've noticed when I start my Jeep cold (95 Country) it seems to hesitate and idle rough for just a few seconds then everything is fine. I have to park with the Jeep facing downhill. i've always parked it outdoors but it was always near level. Any thoughts?

thought you guys should know it was completely tuned up and all filters changed not even 7 mos ago. Used the champion copper truck plugs.

If it was me, i would check the check valve in the fuel line. Sounds like your getting drainage back to your tank and the motor starts a bit fuel starved, but thats just a guess.

Is it a major rough idle and hesitation? It's hard for anybody to really tell you what to check unless they are right in front of it. To me it sounds normal but did it only start doing it once you moved to the new place? It runs fine other than that?

Yeah just started doing it when I began parking on the hill...I'm just concerned that the time it started was just coincidental and it might be something else. I suppose I could park it at my parents for a night and see what happens.

Next time when its cold, turn the key on for a few seconds, turn it off for maybe 5-6 seconds, then back on. Turn it off then try to start. If it fires right up, its a drainback issue. Cycling the key like above allows the pump to prime a bit.

Turn it around facing uphill and then see if the problem is the same or worse or better. I'm thinking incompetent springs in the injectors causing fuel to vent the pressure into the cylinders causing initial flooding. Try it, it is free and may help diagnose the problem.

90Blue_XJ said:
Turn it around facing uphill and then see if the problem is the same or worse or better. I'm thinking incompetent springs in the injectors causing fuel to vent the pressure into the cylinders causing initial flooding. Try it, it is free and may help diagnose the problem.
My street only allows parking on one side and it's illegal to park against traffic in Ohio. -this is appalachia and I'll find another hill somewhere to test this- thanks

Back