• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mustang 8.8's???

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Can Mustang 8.8's be used on XJ's. Too much modifcation necessary?? Inquiring minds need to know. Mustang 8.8s are way more easily had than old Waggy 44's or even Exploder 8.8's for sure.

Last edited:
Re: Mustang 44's???

Rocketman said:
Can Mustang Dana 44's be used on XJ's. Too much modifcation necessary?? Inquiring minds need to know. Mustang 44's are way more easily had than old Waggy 44's for sure.

Im sorry, but Rustangs didn't come with D44's. Get a D44 out of an early 80's Waggy.

Check out all the Ford axle applications for the years here. http://www.ratechmfg.com/fordappchrt.htm

OK, Mistake on your part. The Rustang 8.8's are 28 spline in stock form. Tubes are still weak, and need welded to the housing. Drum brakes, I believe. They have cast in upper control arm mounts into the housing. They can still be upgraded to 31 spline axles. Check out www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com for Rustang 8.8 upgrades.

Last edited:
12GaugeXJ said:
OK, Mistake on your part. The Rustang 8.8's are 28 spline in stock form. Tubes are still weak, and need welded to the housing. Drum brakes, I believe. They have cast in upper control arm mounts into the housing. They can still be upgraded to 31 spline axles. Check out www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com for Rustang 8.8 upgrades.

Correcto. I ran across all that stuff when lookin for info on my 8.8. Not all have drums though.

Rob,
It would be much less of a hastle to find an Exploder 8.8. Mine came out of a Sport Trac it is 31 spline but, it does have drums though. I plan to swap to discs eventually, which should be a fairly easy swap. I'll keep my eyes open for you. I'll ask at the bone yard next time out and see what they let them go for. I suggest staying away from the stangs rear.:D

Hale

The 94+ have disc brakes. All years are 28 spline AFAIK. The only reason I can think of to go with a Mustang Axle is bigger brakes if you decided to go the Cobra caliper route - but that is some coin. The later models 99+ are about 1 1/2 - 2 inches wider - don't know the width of either off hand. Explorers out of the box are a better deal IMO if you are going to run stock.

Back