• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle u-joints...

JohnnyBoy425

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. I need to replace the passenger side u-joint on my dana 30 front end and was wondering what size u-joint I need to buy. Any input would be of tremendous help. Thanks!

What year do you have? As I recall, it's either a 260x or 297x ujoint, but a 297x can be upgraded to a 760x....but that's just a vague recollection from a very drunk individual...I'm sure someone else will chime in that's not so intoxicated. :cheers:

JohnnyBoy425 said:
Well yea I guess it would help if I mention it's a 97 XJ :)

You have the 297-x look for the Spicer 760-X which is the newer and better equivalent with forged body.
If your local parts don't carry SPICER, look in the Yellow pages under "drivetrain"
or similar.
4X4 shops also have them.

spicer's the best, but unless you're going to do a lot of off-roading, there are many brands that will stand up to the abuse the road can give. I'd recommend anything that is either "super-strength" or "brute force". There's strong enough for the trail, and there's strong enough for everyday driving. I'm not exactly sure where each is, I'll let you know though when mine break :)

Regardless, if you go to a parts store and the clerk tries to tell you that because you don't have ABS (if you don't have it) they recommend the smaller u-joint (the 260) they are wrong. I also believe that all 97+ Dana 30s feature the 297x joint. Which a lot of stores have as ABS axle u-joint. If you let them talk you into the 'except ABS' joint, you'll be making two trips.

x10 on going with spicer over the no-name ones they carry at most auto parts stores. The no-name (cough brute force, cough) just don't last like spicers do.

For Cherokee's, up until 1995, they used 260's for non-ABS and 297's for ABS equipped. 1995 and up got the larger 297 ujoints with or without ABS.

This does not apply to YJ's though. My friend has a 1990 YJ without abs and it uses 297's.

So yours uses 297's. Which can be, as mentioned, upgraded to 760's. Same size, just stronger.

Brute Force sucks, ya.

The AutoZone computers will be wrong. They sell 260's for non abs for all years and 297's for abs all years. So be careful if you do want to get Brute Force ujoints and intend on using AutoZone's computer.

OR simply just bring in the shaft with you to ensure you get the right size ujoint as well, if you'd like to.

Back