• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix era ecu's failure

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Are these ecu's prone to failure? Mines an 89 I've been having quite the battle with intermittent high idle, I have gone through many threads here on naxja and done a few things, eg: new tps, groounds,bypassed Iac wiring ect. nothing seems to help. To cure the problem (high idle), I either briefly unp-lug the IAC b latch relay on the pass fender well or unplug the three wire flat connector on the tps then plug back in. Idle immediatly drops and levels out like normal. Once and a while it will level out to normal on its own. like flipping a switch. What am I doing by unplugging and plugging these back in while the vehicle is running? switching to a closed loop and back to an open loop?? I am thinking of a new or used ecu, If that does not fix it I will probably mount a switch inline to the b latch positive power wire. any thoughts?suggestions?? thanks muchly!:wow:

bcmaxx said:
Are these ecu's prone to failure? Mines an 89 I've been having quite the battle with intermittent high idle, I have gone through many threads here on naxja and done a few things, eg: new tps, groounds,bypassed Iac wiring ect. nothing seems to help. To cure the problem (high idle), I either briefly unp-lug the IAC b latch relay on the pass fender well or unplug the three wire flat connector on the tps then plug back in. Idle immediatly drops and levels out like normal. Once and a while it will level out to normal on its own. like flipping a switch. What am I doing by unplugging and plugging these back in while the vehicle is running? switching to a closed loop and back to an open loop?? I am thinking of a new or used ecu, If that does not fix it I will probably mount a switch inline to the b latch positive power wire. any thoughts?suggestions?? thanks muchly!:wow:
Join the Renix high idle club! I would not waste your money on an ECU, that's not your problem in my opinion. I had the same problem on my 88, and it took many mods and still requires a lot of maintenance like cleaning the carbon from the IAC and thottle body. Just remember to use high quality parts, keep the grounds clean, keep the connectors for the tps clean, and if you have a bulkhead connector, wire around it. All that being said, I don't think that anyone has come up with a cure all for the high idle problem that plagues Renix jeeps.

Check your TPS adjustment, and make sure your IAC and idle air passages are clean (may as well just dismount the throttle body and give it a good scrubbing.)

The only consistent failure I've heard of to date with I6 RENIX ECUs has been blown injector drivers. On CherokeeForum, I'm in the middle of trying to help diagnose the first I4 RENIX ECU failure I've heard of...

For anyone who reads this.. The Computer in the Renix engine will hardly ever go bad... I've never heard of or seen a bad one.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
For anyone who reads this.. The Computer in the Renix engine will hardly ever go bad... I've never heard of or seen a bad one.

As I've said before - I've heard of four, and two have made their way to me. I'm working on whether or not a third has gone west on us - but we're still sorting that out. It would be a "different" failure - the other four have blown injector drivers, and Mr_W (Croatia?) seems to have come up with a viable replacement part. I'll have to ping him in another week or so to see how the fix is holding up.

I've also heard of one vehicle that was blowing out four-cylinder RENIX ECUs - we're working on that one as well. Considering he's blown three or four in the same way, I'm inclined to think it's an external issue. Just haven't developed enough information yet...

Oh and to the ??? at hand, glad you found the prob. and I had never heard of a Renix ECU going bad.

5-90-PM ur new addy. I'm not sure what I'm doing with my 90', part it out or junk, health is going down hill, so no matter what happens I want to make sure the ECU gets to you. I know you'll do me proud by it.....lol

Back