• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil cooler???

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever heard of running an oil cooler on a 4.0 i6? Just was wanting some input or info thanks

Chadwick

so I was thinking of getting an oil filter relocation kit and just running my cooler off those hoses...?

Yeah I have a new less then year old rad and a 180 t stat and a hood lift and I still get hot. plus I think I will need to do something special for the jeepspeed. I think that an oil cooler may be the answer...

I still get hot.
==================
If your getting hot at low speeds.
Maybe clutch fan. You can try locking it in. If that helps replace it.
E fan as they get old they sometimes get slow. Also you may have the old style E fan. Sorry I don't know the year they changed over. But using a newer one would be a easy and somewhat cheap upgrade.
Oil cooler: Good for keeping the oil cool. Not so well known for keeping the engine cooler. Got to add a big one if your trying to cool the engine with it.
Are you running a slush box? If so. If your engine gets hot a lot so is your trany. Change trany fluid and add cooler. At least change fluid every 20k or so. A trany cooler MAY help cool the engine to.
Last but not least rebuild engine. Tired old engines just overheat easer.

I have an external cooler aswell as through the rad for the trans. I get hot going slow going fast in 4th or locked out in 3rd(converter locked). It runs warm almost always...

slcpunk74 said:
I have an external cooler aswell as through the rad for the trans. I get hot going slow going fast in 4th or locked out in 3rd(converter locked). It runs warm almost always...
What temps do you call hot or warm. You gauge will in many cases read 10~20 deg higher then the T-stat is made for. No biggy.
Are you losing coolant?
Having excess key off peculation?
Have you compared your XJ to a other XJ?
Are you running BIG tires (35+) with low air and poor gearing? This is much more of a load then many think.
Until they start getting less then 10 MPG anyway.
Still got your cardboard in front of your rad? Ok, it's just me that forgets to remove that!
Junk in the block. HEAVY DUTY flush job.
Is your trany shifting properly or slipping?
In most cases at or above 35 MPH no fan is needed at all. Below that speed, specially in high gear and fan(s) still come into play.
It may be more then one small thing adding up to a problem.
Luck

Last edited:
I do have 33s with 3.55s but I am not needing to beat it for it to run; ie I dont think the gearing is why it runs hot because it takes little pedal pressure to get the thing up to 75 and keep it there.
I feel its hot when its on the line after 210 but it usually rides just a bit above 210 or halfway between it and the next notch.
My trans feels firm and good. I have never noticed my trans slipping ever.
I flushed my block really good less then a year ago when I did the rad.
no perculation and I dont lose coolant.
I need to get a radar gun and see what the real temp is...

Back