• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sanden compressor pulley wobble

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
'01 xj

driving around today my a/c started blowing warm......it's been plenty cold for the past weeks (and since i bought it last summer). So i turn it off and keep driving home. As i pull into the parking lot to my apt. complex i start getting this ticking/clicking noise thats fairly loud, so i say oh shit and pull into a parking space and pop the hood

the pulley on the compressor is wobbling pretty bad, so i'm assuming the bearing is toast right??

if you end up trying to replace only the bearing, please post results! i am trying to do the same thing right now, but can't find a source for the bearing. my local parts shop claims to have it, but i read several posts on here about that bearing not fitting. the dealer has a clutch replacement kit, but i would imagine it would cost more than a complete aftermarket compressor.

i had the same thing happen recently. i just replaced the whole compressor and while i was at it i broke the tentioning bolt under the ps pump as i tried to get the serp belt off. yah, replacing the ac comp turned into a whole day affair for me. not to fun.

The bearing will have a number on one of the races along the edge. This is the bearing number. Just about any bearing supply can match the number or find a substitute.

I rebuilt a 40 year old table saw that needed new arbor bearings. I found matches at a local supply place for a few buck each.

well the problem is that i'm at school right now, and my tools are at home...........so i can't just replace the clutch or bearing myself, which i would prefer to do

so i had AAA tow it to the stealership, they quoted me a total of $775 to replace the compressor............which is actually cheaper than i thought, but ouch!

but, is the bearing part of the a/c clutch??? i ask because the clutch is actually a separate part at the stealership and is about half as much as a new compressor

There is a bearing in the clutch. It allows the pulley to "freewheel" when the clutch in not engaged. I would think it would be cheaper than 1/2 since the system shouldn't need evacuaton and recharging just to replace the clutch.

However, you may now be at the mercy of the dealer.

I would reroute the belt and get a shorter one and simply run with no A/C until you get home where you have your tools. Save yourself $500.

do you happen to know what size that belt might be? or a good technique to figure it out? i heard they also make a pulley bracket to replace the compressor and keep using the original sized belt?

Units without a/c came with a idler pulley in place of the compressor. You'd likely have to scrounge around a salvage yard to find the whole setup.

Looking at the belt path, using a shorter belt doesn't look like a viable option since the fan is in the way.

Back