• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front winch bumper

dard1324

NAXJA Forum User
So I had originally decided on buying the PhatXJ bumper from AJ but he seems to have problems answering emails so I'm having second thoughts. I've also looked at the JCR pre-runner winch bumper and Nates 4x4 slimline winch bumper. Which should I go for? Which has the best/strongest mounting system? Should I just be more patient with AJ? I originally talked to him just learning about his bumper in mid-April and he was great at answering emails then, but now that I'm trying to finalize a set-up for a bumper and hopefully order it, I've had to resend emails several times and he still hasn't answered my last one sent on Tuesday 5/20. What should I do?

I used to be involved in mail order stuff and I know for me, personally, when the telephone rang, someone was ready to order from me. When I wasn't building engines (The mainstay of the business) or answering the telephone, there was a ton of stuff to do BESIDES look at e-mail. The strange thing is that I started off the business as a web-only, and I HAD to get a phone because I can answer people faster by talking than by typeing. The phone always got answered, and i finally shut down the web site as it was too big of a pain in the buttocks to run.

I was in a "Toy" business too, ATV's to be more specific, and the business was very cyclical. Right now I'm assuming that AJ is probably swamped with people who waited until the last minute to place their orders and now are impatiently waiting their parts. 'Tis the season for 4 wheeling, right?

I'd say ditch the e-mail, pick up the phone, and talk to AJ to place your order.

--
Eric

AJ does great work, and I've got one of his bumpers. However, be aware he is a 1 man show, so expect a wait. And yes, give him a call if you want quicker response.

definately call him (tomorrow, after the holiday). I never got answers to my emails until after he was working on a bumper for me, I called in both of my orders.

AJ has some of the best products out there, but yes, he is slow.

He's been a naxja sponsor as long as I can remember, and to date I have never heard any complaint about him other than slow response to emails. Call him, talk about what you want - and don't forget to ask how long it would take to get a bumper, as his products are popular and there is usually a wait.

Worth the wait.

I to sent him an email last week and have not received anything back from him. Since I am in Iraq just picking up a phone and calling is kind of tough. But on friday I was able to call and talked with him for a few minutes. He did know my email that I sent and told me that he was very busy trying to get a new batch super rock rails produced along with other projects. So he said he was going to email me later that day with the information that I was wanting to know. But still have not gotten it. But I understand the deal with a small business and being very overworked. So if everybody says his stuff is worht the wait then by all means I have nothing but time over here and will wait and support the small guy and forum sponser.......Aaron

I completely understand him being too swamped to answer emails, hence why I have not given up on him. It's kind of tough for me to call him because I am in school and then work during the hours that he is open but I will try to work it out. Is my best bet still to go with his bumper or would you guys recommend any of the others?

There are a lot of good bumpers available.

AJ's. Loose Nuts. Hanson. JCR .. ton's more I can't think of without getting coffee first.

Make sure it mounts with more than the stock 3 bolts (minimum of 5, IMHO), and from there its all style and preference.

Out of the ones I listed (Aj's, Nates, and JCR), is there any one that is better than the other?

Depends on what you need. if you're ok with a bumper made just how it looks in the photos, then any of them will do. I personally feel that Nate's are the simplest (ugliest), and AJ's are the best. AJ will build you a custom bumper any way you want it. But, if you like the JCR designs, you can order it with the Stone Liner coating so it's ready to install as soon as you get it. AJ sends all of his in raw steel so it's easier to ship.

JCR non-winch bumpers come with just the stock mounting points unless you order the tie-in plates. Something to keep in mind! I believe all of Nates bumpers have the full mounting plates. AJ uses killer mounting plates with his, 6 bolts on the side, 1 underneath and 2 up front to reinforce the front two side bolts. yeah, 18 bolts to mount his bumpers.

Basically, AJ is a custom builder and makes them crazy strong. if you don't need something custom, JCR or Nate will be fine. If I had a stock daily driver XJ, I'd probably run a JCR Prerunner bumper with the tie-in brackets for some idiot driver defensive armor. :) For my XJ, I went with AJ's Slikrok bumper since I wanted a winch bumper and felt that he had the best design of any company out there.

I've got to jump on this thread also. Calls and emails to AJ with no response. Not making me feel warm and fuzzy handing over $500-$600......

Camo-5 said:
I've got to jump on this thread also. Calls and emails to AJ with no response. Not making me feel warm and fuzzy handing over $500-$600......

If you don't feel comfortable with him, then go buy a lesser bumper for more money elsewhere. AJ is well known for doing good work and being very honest. He's never ripped someone off.

He's also well known for being very slow. When you order from him, iirc you arent expected to pay until your product is ready to ship, so you aren't going to get ripped off either.

If you don't feel comfortable with him, then go buy a lesser bumper for more money elsewhere. AJ is well known for doing good work and being very honest. He's never ripped someone off.

He's also well known for being very slow. When you order from him, iirc you arent expected to pay until your product is ready to ship, so you aren't going to get ripped off either.

Easy! From what I've seen and heard, he does great work, but working in a business world, I at least expect a courtesy call even if it says 'I'm so dang busy, I can't answer your qeustions right now. I'll call back in X days". I don't think that's too much to ask. Heck, for all I know, the guy has passed away and knowbody will be able to order bumpers from him again - I hope not cuz they are the best I've seen and I REALLY want one.

That's all I'm saying.

If he hasnt been answering, maybe he's out wheeling?

It is after all a short holiday week?

Its one guy in a small country shop, and not a business.

Dunno. I'm guessing. When I need him, I PM him, and usually get a response pretty quick; but I only have to talk to him 2-3 times a year.

Got my call from him today and he apologized profusely. They have had huge storms in Iowa and he's been doing alot of clean up from flooding. Now I feel like a heel. Not unusual for me.....my big mouth and no patience......

Just to make it right, I'm gonig to order a nice, fancy new slickrock bumper from him :)

yeah, he's out in the middle of nowhere. he had issues getting UPS to pickup some brackets he was sending me back in the winter since the roads weren't getting cleared.

Back