• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimming Question for 33s

HawkZero

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sitting on 4.5" of lift and thinking of running 33s. With my 2000 XJ, what sort of trimming will be required, and will I need to trim more or less with 10.5 vs 12.5 inches of width.

Also...will 3.75 or 4 of backspacing on the wheels be sufficient for either tire?

Thanks in advance.

4.5" lift, 32x11.5x15. No trimming necessary. During hard turns it would rub, so I trimmed about a 1/2 inch front and back.

10.5x15 wheels. I think they are 3.75 backspace, and since I trimmed the fenders I can turn the wheels full left or right no rubbing the front end parts.

I am planning on cutting and replacing the flares with those bolt on kind. I figured I should be able to run 33x12.50 then.

So based on what I've experienced, I'd say you would have to do minor trimming for the 33's.

i have the rough country 4.5, with 33/15/12.50 trxxus m/t's, 3.75 backspacing, rockcrawler rims.

no rub, no sway bars, i do get some rub in the rear at full articulation.

i had to chop off the fenders at the top of the plastic where they meet the body, for the tires to fit.

make sure you get new gears before the 33's, i have 3.55's and even in florida, i wish i had some 4.10's or better.

muckleroy said:
4.5" lift, 32x11.5x15. No trimming necessary. During hard turns it would rub, so I trimmed about a 1/2 inch front and back.

10.5x15 wheels. I think they are 3.75 backspace, and since I trimmed the fenders I can turn the wheels full left or right no rubbing the front end parts.

I am planning on cutting and replacing the flares with those bolt on kind. I figured I should be able to run 33x12.50 then.

So based on what I've experienced, I'd say you would have to do minor trimming for the 33's.

be sure you bumpstop or it will rub. both my inner fenders have shiny spots where the tread rubs while flexed and drving

bcmaxx said:
be sure you bumpstop or it will rub. both my inner fenders have shiny spots where the tread rubs while flexed and drving

Yes. I need to find out more about this. I've been reading about it here. I just need to find out how much bump stop I need.

I found a ramp at work and grabbed a tape measure and a buddy, flexed all four corners until it was close to rubbing and measured the distance from the axles to the bumpstop mount, and got/made bumpstops. Now I don't have to be so careful when flexed out. Was always worried about ripping of flares and cutting my new tires.

bcmaxx said:
I found a ramp at work and grabbed a tape measure and a buddy, flexed all four corners until it was close to rubbing and measured the distance from the axles to the bumpstop mount, and got/made bumpstops. Now I don't have to be so careful when flexed out. Was always worried about ripping of flares and cutting my new tires.

I was thinking of a jack, but the ramp makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Ok...great answers so far, but I'm really looking for the 10.5 vs 12.5 width question. Will I need to trim more or the same if I run the wider tire? Will I have to trim at all for the 10.5?

HawkZero said:
Ok...great answers so far, but I'm really looking for the 10.5 vs 12.5 width question. Will I need to trim more or the same if I run the wider tire? Will I have to trim at all for the 10.5?

you'll need to trim and bumpstop just about the same.

i had 35's with a 4.5" lift with not much trimming. i took off the stock flares, and there was a rub line in the paint and i just followed the line. it was about 1" or so..

I have 4.5" of lift with a VERY heavy front and rear bumpers, winch, etc (probably much closer to 4" of actual lift). I have 33" Bias TSL's (34" diameter). You will have to trim to the pinch seam both front and rear to fit the 33's. Then bumpstop to limit any rubbing. I have trimmed past the pinch seams both front and rear and could easily fit 35's or 37's (just adjust bumpstops).

Either the 3.75 or 4.0 BS will work, not sure that it would make much difference for either width tire.

Michael

Shouldn't be much different, I went from 11.5 to 12.5's and it was about the same, My rears may tuck a little better due to the narrower 8.8 rear diff. I would expect you will have to trim the same whether 10.5 or 12.5 in the back and maybe slighly less up front

HawkZero said:

Have you bought the wheels yet? Most of us out here where we have natural stuff that will flex the suspension have trimmed, and are running 4.5" back space with 33x12.5's. With 6" of lift my 33's would rub the fender, but only on trails with big rocks at places like Johnson Valley. For a mall wheeler you probably won't need to trim. On my 91, I took a sharpie, drew a line around the fender flare, pulled the flare and cut on that line, then remounted the flare higher. I also had to beat the inner seam where the wheel well and body join flat, plus remove the inner fender. No rubbing now. Oh, also, with 33's you need to move your brake line closer to the shock, otherwise the tire can and will rip it off if you stuff it and turn the wheel. Lots of guys have done that out here.

I have doine a bunch of fender work and firmly believe that if you you cant be fully flexed and steer from lock to lock with out contact your tires rub. 33x10.5-15's will fit inside the wheelwell further then 12.5's do.

If you have questions about trimming let me know. I have done a bunch of trimming with stock flares. i can fit 33" tires fit without a lift with the proper trimming/cutting is done.

This is full flex with 33x10.5" tires on 15x7 rims with 4" of backspacing and 5" of lift with 11.5" travel front shocks. The tires never rubbed. It also had inner fender liners. Two of the pictures have the tires on stock rims.

lfview_sm.jpg
lfflex_sm.jpg
filledgap_sm.jpg

rearflex_sm.jpg
RearFlareLeft1_sm.jpg
RearFlareLeft2_sm.jpg

lfview_sm.jpg
FrontFlareRight_sm.jpg
flexedat_sm.jpg

Wilder...Will fit 37" tires and stuff them nicely. 35" tires would fit with 4" of lift no problem. Those are the same tires and rims as the fiurst group of pictures.

rearfender0031.jpg

cutfender002.jpg

MJ01.jpg

MJ03.jpg

Back