• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Wiring Harness 88xj

jacobyj2

NAXJA Forum User
So I've got an 88 XJ 4.0L Manual trans. with serious electrical issues. I'm constantly replacing wires and connections. I was wondering if anyone has replaced the stock wiring with a completely new wiring, and if so what should I expect. I've got a pretty firm grasp on my jeep but by no means total. Anyone know of a site or forum that will walk me through it?

I have the same set up as you '88 4.0 5 speed, All my problems electrically were in the fuse block from too many leaky master slaves over the years burnt up the fuse block, I cut mine out and tracing the circuits that I needed, made my own fuse block, It was a major PITA. I never have had to replace any wiring any where else, except for the fix on the C101 connector. Where are you wanting to put in a new harness? motor or inside? or both? Wiring is not easy without the FSM to trace all the wires. Do you have one?

Alldata has pretty good wiring diagrams, they break things down into sub systems. Worth the money if your doing a large project or are constantly troubleshooting early XJ wiring.
The FSM diagrams, Alldata and a harness out of a junkyard XJ, all together, are about as good as you are going to get, for use as reference material.
I lay my junkyard harness out on the shop floor, print out the pertanant sub systems and have the FSM open to the appropriate page. And then start troubleshooting the harness in the vehicle (for the hard to troubleshoot problems). It sure makes things faster and easier for me. Prior, planning, prevents, pxss, poor, performance, the six "P's".
I got a rather large harness from a decades old computer server setup. A three inch thick bundle of 12 gauge (I think, actually 1.5 mm core area/cross section) wires about fifteen feet long, with just about every color and stripe combination imaginable. I found it at a metal recycling yard. It was in a pile of cable as big as a house.
It's hard to not keep using the same colors, when you make your own harness and gets real confusing later. Numbered tape wheels, take a lot of time to use for marking and the tape usually falls off eventually.

Last edited:
jacobyj2 said:
So I've got an 88 XJ 4.0L Manual trans. with serious electrical issues. I'm constantly replacing wires and connections. I was wondering if anyone has replaced the stock wiring with a completely new wiring, and if so what should I expect. I've got a pretty firm grasp on my jeep but by no means total. Anyone know of a site or forum that will walk me through it?

Want wiring diagrams I'll email them to you.

It's on the way.
I should have said to PM me for the diagrams, it's a bad idea to post your email in any open forum, deleted if you can.
Or one of the MOD's should.

I almost forgot a solder gun and shrink tubing are your friends. Crimp connectors can be iffy. On critical items I even run a fine bead of super glue around the ends of the shrink tubing, water proof and bullet proof.
You can get away with crimp connectors in some spots, but I use them as little as possible.
Don't count on remembering how the wires are run, a year, two or three later.
Some kind of marking system will cost you some time now, but can really save major headaches later. I stick with stock colors and markings as much as possible.

Back