• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Fuel Pump/ Filter

vwkaferman

NAXJA Forum User
So I researched on how to do it, there's a great write up here and all, dropped the tank and can not get that stupid freaking jerk off 0-ring/whatever the hell you want to call it locking piece of garbage off.

Tried tapping with screwdriver. Nope.
Tried using a strap, sandpaper in between it and the locking whatever the hell it's stupid called, nope. Pulling hard too.

Tried all the gay ass stores around, no one has the spanner wrench tool piece of crap.

I love working cars. I HATE when I can't do simple freaking things.

Anyone have any advice?

James

Well that was fast. Nothing like a little bit of adrenaline, disregard for oneself, for ones Jeep or anything in the surrounding area.

Broke one hammer, threw it across garage. Grabbed another, small piece of wood hitting it as hard as I could. Didn't care if I broke it or not.

Stupid thing came loose.

I just drove all over town with short on (motorcycle) like an idiot, over an hour, blank stares from all parts stores.

Good grief. Lets see how the rest of it goes.

James

If you look at the ring, it has two sets of tabs facing different directions. One set is used as stop tabs to keep it from being turned in too far, and the other set is used as push tabs for removing it.

What I did on mine was use a flathead screwdriver to pry the stop tabs loose a quarter of an inch, then used a plastic mallet and some wood on the push tabs to fully disengage the ring. It took a while on mine too.

Make sure you get it that tight when you put it back on, or it will leak when you fill it up.
Ask me how I know........

Well I don't think I have any leaks but I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

I did this because I've got severe miss starting at around 4100rpm...engine will not go to redline, shifts at about 4300rpm. I figured it was starving for fuel. Spark should be good, just replaced cap/rotor and plugs. Wires are not that old. I guess next is see if there's a fuel pressure regulator, and maybe the injectors...

James

Back