• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some advice on a new welder

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
I am starting to really like our miller 252 we use at my work. I would like a bit more performance(duty cycle,speed, penatration,quality) then my small lincoln wire feed I have at home. I am looking at doing some alum welding but mostly steel(cages, bumpers, uni-stiffners) for our jeepspeed project.

I would like to stay 110 but know with welding alum that might not happen... So I am between the hobart 140 and the 187. I hear great reviews on both, and I do understand they wont be even close to the miller I use at work but how would they weld alum?
Could I get by with the 140 and keep my 110 or is it time to step up to the plate?

you want to do 110 wire feed on aluminium? TIG would be the best bet for that. and if your going to do tig, dont bother with anything 110v- go to 220.

I was pretty sure I made it clear I wanted a mig. I dont have the cash for a tig and I really need a new mig right now

Not sure why you would want another 110v welder (Hobart 140) if you already have one that will provide similar performance. You could add a spool gun to it and handle both steel and aluminum. Or just sell your 110 and take the leap.........

For the type of welding requirements you've described, I'd jump up to a Miller 180, which will weld up to 5/16" steel and also accept a spool gun for welding aluminum. A 252 is nice, but 3X the money too.

At work I have used a Hobart handler (125?) 220volt with a argon helium mix tank for welding cast aluminum, usually intake manifolds. We do not use a spool gun, even though it would make things a hundred times easier. I have to put the welder directly behind me and hang a wire from the celing to support the feed wire to keep it from binding up and makeing a nice birds nest inside the box. You can get teflon coated inner tubes to make the wire bind less often too. You will have to play with power and feed rates until you get it right on the money or else it will either birds nest inside or it will not lay a continuous bead.
What type of aluminum are you planing on welding (cast, billit, other) and how thick?

~Alex

I am not sure about the al welding I will do I just want to be able to if the mood strikes. I run the miller 252 at work and its great but right now I am seriously considering a hobart 187 just for the price but I need to find a spool gun if they have one avail.

after looking at the price of doing a spool gun on a hobart187 or even a hobart 210( its like $500+ extra for the spool gun) I am rethinking this hobart thing. I was looking at the lincoln pro mig 180. The spool gun is only around $200 and I can get a lincoln pro mig 180 for under $600 new. Any of you guys ever run the lincoln or have any reviews?

Correction, I use a Hobart Handler 175 at work.

slcpunk74 said:
after looking at the price of doing a spool gun on a hobart187 or even a hobart 210( its like $500+ extra for the spool gun) I am rethinking this hobart thing. I was looking at the lincoln pro mig 180. The spool gun is only around $200 and I can get a lincoln pro mig 180 for under $600 new. Any of you guys ever run the lincoln or have any reviews?
I have one for the home shop and it works really well

best bang for the buck

Gerr said:
I have one for the home shop and it works really well

best bang for the buck

I guess I will find out today if like it or not because it should arrive tonight.

I got the linoln pro mig 180 and I used it yesterday;flux core :( no bottle yet. I like it thus far. We will get some gas to it and see what it can do.

I bought a miller 180 a few weeks ago and its awesome! I can actually weld now!!!! ha ha

I just got the aluminum welding setup for the lincoln without a spoolgun, its still pretty spotty (feed gets inconsistent if you get the hose in a bind) but the spoolgun is cheap enough for the linc I'd get one if I was going to do much Al. Better than Al electrode through the normal liner but still leaves a lot to be desired.

Other than that its a sweet welder for the money.

Don't forget you'll want a separate bottle of pure argon for aluminum, that's another cost.

I know what you mean about using a bigger, nicer welder. I had a Hobart 140 and loved it. The problem I had was once I would work on suspension or axle items I would have to drag a welder home or drag an axle to the shop to properly weld what needed to be welded. I was using a Miller 251 most of the time when I would go to the shop. I figured a Miller 251 was to much for a at home welder. I ended getting a Miller 210 and love it. I think going bigger than what you think you need is a good idea.

Back