• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yeah i know another lift question

Spanky88

NAXJA Forum User
i know some of you might think that this topic has been beaten to death but searchin wasnt helpin me ne so here goes. im waitin on a 1 3/4 spacer on backorder, but im interested in buildin my own lift. i wanted to add a set of 3 in springs and use a set of fix lca for a 4.5 lift and just build my own leaf pack and use a shackle for the difference. what else should i plan on needin besides shocks, breaklines, swaybar links. i think i have the 242 case but it could be a 231 ill check for sure tommorow. will i nee new driveshafts or an sye? neither? how bout a tc drop?im wantin to do this relatively cheap

well I'm built about the same way you are talking about.

I bought the RE 4.5" superflex kit.
It netted me 5.5" in the front and almost 6" in the rear.
Through Rustys I got the A/A SYE and TW driveshaft for $526..

If you do the sye or not, get some shims for the back, It'll help lots. Thats all I can think of right now.

You should probably try the TC drop first. If it works, then great! If not, then you'e out, what, $20? That's if you don't resell it.

For a 4.5" lift, you might need to start looking in to steering upgrades. You might be able to redrill the trackbar bracket and use your stock parts, but I don't know for sure.

Yeah, drop the TC and put extra stress on your motor mounts...

I'm pro-SYE - do it - you won't regret it. its the RIGHT way to fix something that should have been done from the factory (and Chrysler is just NOW figuring that out)

and yes, if you do the SYE, you will need a new DS.

lca's and drop the t case. find the angles and shim if need be. but you should be good with a t case drop. do thelcas for sure. the shackles will point your pinion up a bit so shims might be nec. brakelines are good. steering cooler and upgrades are good. tranny cooler is a must if the auto.

Drop motor mounts? Don't exist as far as I know. I've seen motor mount LIFTS...if you look at your motor mounts, you can't really lower them.

Why do you want to lose an inch of ground clearance? Just do a SYE!!! There really is no reason NOT to - but I can give you plenty of reasons why a TC drop is unfavorable.

right i had the motor mount thought backwards oops. the reason id like to get by with the tc drop is tat i dont reallyhave the cash flow for a sye yet. im still in college so id rather do it as cheap as i can without sacrificing reliability too badly. i understand the view if using the sye just cant really afford one.

Spanky -
I've been driving my 98 lifted 2.5" for a while now with the 1" drop.
It sucks.
Get a hack & tap kit or SYE. Put off the lift until you can do it right. You don't want to replace ujoints down the road or have your rig driving like ass - and at 3+ inches, it WILL ride like ass even with the 1" drop. Save the cash for a little while and do it right.

For cheap Xfr case drop: Get a handful of 3/8 fender washers. About 5 of them under each bolt on the crossmember will move the transfer case down about 1/2 inch. Don't forget longer bolts. More washers + more drop. Don't get crazy with the idea. 4-5 bucks should tell you if the drop will work. If it does, there's no reason to buy the aluminum spacers, right?

ok so i started to look at the syes and i have a question. i was reading that if id get the re hack n tap sye, in order to use another cherokee front driveshat id need a seperate flange from spicers

with about 6" of lift and a 242/d44 setup I run the stock front driveshaft in the rear with my hackntap

Honestly a t-case drop is not the best thing but really its not like its killing your rig. Ok Ok it puts more stress on this or that but I run my 97 with 6" of lift and for a year I just used a 1/2 t- case drop. I did do the re hackntap and love it but I had little vibe without the sye.
For sure if you wheel you would want some good arms(search pretzel control arm)

yossarian19 said:
Spanky -
I've been driving my 98 lifted 2.5" for a while now with the 1" drop.
It sucks.
Get a hack & tap kit or SYE. Put off the lift until you can do it right. You don't want to replace ujoints down the road or have your rig driving like ass - and at 3+ inches, it WILL ride like ass even with the 1" drop. Save the cash for a little while and do it right.

1" drop? on 2.5" of lift? can I ask why?

Why does it "suck"?

for the sye, is it ok to run it for a while at stock height? i might wait until i finish college in august because i still have 3 mor 12hr drives left(home and back) andim not really doing any wheeling between now and then

I hear its kosher to do such a thing...

its a 93 sport 4.o, aw4, ant i think its a 242 im gonna check here in a few, its got a 8.25 rear
in my last post i mentioned waitong i meant for the lift

OverTheHillsATTW said:
What year is your Jeep? The older models hardly had any vibe problems.

do some searching spanky because thats what I have heard aswell

Back