• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best way to clean interior plastic

ehall said:
Some of my interior trim pieces are stained and filthy and I want to clean them up before I put them back on. Put them in the dishwasher? Scotch pad and ????
Eric,
If you want to try actually cleaning them I would go with a green scotch brite pad for the really stained areas and otherwise just an ammonia based glass cleaner; that's always worked very well for me. I've also always had good luck respraying them with Krylon Fusion spray paint, the stuff bonds amazingly well to plastic. I converted the entire interior (minus seats and carpet) in my Caprice with that stuff and it looks great. So if there are any areas that just won't clean up or unstain so to speak, I'd try shooting them. Good luck man!

hot water and dish soap always worked for me. a small brush for muddy or greasy spots and your done.

Mr. Clean Magic Sponge
285905.jpg

And a little bit of soapy water (I like to use the cheapo "scrubbing bubbles"
Works great for me.

Hello when I got my jeep was ditry as could be .I pulled the insides out cleaned the carpet at the car wash.Cleaned the seats the same took all the plastic cleaned with good hosehold cleaner. then wiped down with with wax remover and some metal prep and sprayed them with vinyl paint .You can get in to match your inter. Jeep look like show room now people cant belive its a 92.

GI-John said:
Mr. Clean Magic Sponge
285905.jpg

And a little bit of soapy water (I like to use the cheapo "scrubbing bubbles"
Works great for me.

I second this motion.

My wife used to bring these home from her housekeeping job, the work great on plastic and other materials!

If you've got the older style seats (94? and below), the covers can be removed. Just some srews,zippers,velcro, and some coat hanger type wire.
I took mine along with the carpet to the car wash, used the foaming brush and lots of quarters and the results were great. The previous responses on the trim pieces are right on. Use s soft brush,cleaner,hot soapy water, and patience and they will come clean. If the finish still isn't to your liking the paint will make it look new. When cleaning anything,especially the paint, always try to "float" the dirt off as opposed rubbing it off or using harsh cleaners. Try to test a new idea or cleaner on something that doesn't show or even pick up an old piece from the salvage yard to experiment with.

Back