• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 ton Steering???

rooneypower

NAXJA Forum User
So Alex (Ba-Reido) and I went to reiter today with a few friends. The day was fun, we ran up and down Izzy, and goofed off on some stumps. We then headed up sac-up. We were about 100 yards from the end of it when, I felt my steering go loose. I could barley turn the wheel to the left, but i could turn it all the way to the right. I asked Kyle to look at my steering linkage.. He said, "Its bent to shit!!"

So nedless to say we spent 2 hours fixing it. I was stuck also wich didnt help because it was very hard to get to anything under the Jeep.

Brian and I taking off the skid plate to get a better look.
ReiterMomorialDay08018internet.jpg

The carnage...
ReiterMomorialDay08021internet.jpg

Also bent the steering shock..
ReiterMomorialDay08023internet.jpg

ReiterMomorialDay08024internet.jpg

Tie rod out and ready to be fixed..
ReiterMomorialDay08025internet.jpg

Fixed...
ReiterMomorialDay08026internet.jpg

Steering shock
ReiterMomorialDay08027internet.jpg

I have to say, driving home was an "adventure"......

Keil

Last edited:
Yeah that was quite an adventure, I just got ACRO 1 ton steering installed yesterday and between that and my new cage with tube flares I was having a blast.

Oh and keil... Learn to spell, Riedo i before e, come on now.

I would also like to point out how important that a real hi-lift jack is. Without that removeable handle on mine we would have been pretty bad off.

-Alex

that happen to me before. but i was trying to climb between a boulder the size of a special bus and a 22ft cliff. I actually bent my tierod in the shape of a V and my steering stabilizer broke in 2. i parked it up on a hill and had a wrangler with a winch hooked up to my steering winch it somewhat straight so i could at least get off the trail. no way in hell i was able to drive it home, had to get it trailered home by a buddy. it was awesome. i had the pics on a camera that got stolen out of a home robbery. wish i had that camera. that had all the pics from rubicon when i went up there with the Jeeps-r-us crew out of Laguna beach CA

I'd like to point out that if that skid plate wasn't there, you would have ran straight into the object that bent it into a U. That would have only tweeked it slightly.

Unless of course, you did it with your tire propped against a tree and tried to turn?

mud1059 said:
I'd like to point out that if that skid plate wasn't there, you would have ran straight into the object that bent it into a U. That would have only tweeked it slightly.

Unless of course, you did it with your tire propped against a tree and tried to turn?

He bent it first we think, and then it got wedged and bent more, now he has a ZJ setup and should post pictures shortly.

-Alex

UPDATE:

Here is what it looks like with the ZJ Tie Rod in, drives great now.... :)

TierodandSteeringUpgrade003.jpg

And what I'm working on right now, Putting a bigger steering pump into my XJ...

TierodandSteeringUpgrade005.jpg

Gotta love pull-a-part. Got bothof these parts for $25.

Keil

mojojojo said:
sept it took me like 6(in one wheeling trip) times to figure out the 1 ton upgrade :banghead:
fixed it

Back