• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taking a hammer to the alternator??

opie1

NAXJA Forum User
My mother-in-law's 91 is having alt. problems. It will charge and then all of the sudden BAM it won't do nothing. Her boyfriend's solution is to tapp it with a hammer. Sound's a little redneck but it actually works for a little while. Is this fixable without total replacement. I think it's dirty. They drive a lot of gravel roads with a lot of creek crossings. Any input would be greatly appreciated primarily because she hauls my two boys around in it.

You can try running clean water from a hose through it while the engines running to see if it rinses anything out but if it's never been done before then it's likely that the inside is trashed and need's replacement.

Dont rinse it out with water. That will surely seize a bearing... if not it will at least make the thing howl!!

I wonder if just the brushes are worn out? I would assume that would be the only thing that would be effected by "taping" the whole unit.
I know with some other alternators you can take them apart and just replace the brushes. I just dont know if the same can be done with a cherokee alternator ESPECIALLY with a Nippondenso like in your Mother-In-Laws 91.
I think best solution is to just replace it.

Not sure what Nippondenso has to do with it. Bearings went on my '93 Nippondenso several months ago. Removed it and took to local auto electrical shop. They did the bearings and went ahead and did the brushes while at it. Took one hour on Saturday morning, $40 for both. They said they could rewind it if necessary, but I wasn't having charging problems and didn't get a price.

Brushes are sticking. Either replace the brushes, or replace the alternator.

It's possible for an alternator that doesn't see mud or water to get stuck brushes - they're compressed carbon, and can stick themselves in the holders as they wear down.

Ideally, flush the back of the thing out with electrical contact cleaner or possibly brake cleaner. You can use water, but you'll want to go for a drive immediately afterwards (water can free up the carbon about half of the time, but you need to dry the backing springs for the brushes out so they don't rust and break. Water is a "field expedient" fix for mud saturation.)

Back