• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relays under the dash

mmcswss

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 xj 2wd but am in the process of converting to 4wd. Hey the jeep was free and is in really good shape. But after I got it running (plugged converter). Any way the battery discharged completely. So I started trouble shooting I found a relay under the dash going nuts. I suspect it is for radio antenna motor. Removed it and no more problems. But I would like to identify the remaining relays under the dash. There are three. The wiring diagrams in the Chiltons suck. Any help would be appreciated.
Robert:piratefla

I can't tell you for sure about the '91, but as a start, the '93 has room for four standard relays (illuminated entry, rear window defogger, horn and one empty) and six of the smaller (power locks lock, power locks unlock, radio illumination and three empty).

HTH.

The above is from the owner's manual. Probably no big deal but having a relay for radio illumination doesn't make a lot of sense -- I wonder if that should be the power antenna as you found.

Thanks I got to pull the fender anyway to fix a minor dent. I will test the antenna while I have it apart but I would like to idnetify the other two relays for future reference. :skull2:

On my '91 there is a relay bank attached to the lower dash in front of the driver. This bank can hold 3 relays. One is for the horn, one for the parking lights, and the other is the illumination relay if you have the security/keyless entry option. Otherwise this is left empty. The slot is colored brown as well.

Back