• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a new n.s.s., anything i need to know?

I have found it helpful to paint some never-seez on the shaft that goes through the NSS - but don't put it on anything threaded.

Torque the collet nut (around the shift shaft) to 5 pound-feet, and the adjuster screw to ~15 pound-feet.

Install the switch and the collet nut, then shift into Reverse. Have a helper watch for the reverse lights while you fiddle the switch underneath. Note when they turn ON, then when they turn OFF - then back it up to about the middle of that range. Secure with the upper screw, then check that you will start in both Park and Neutral.

Hang on to the old switch - I'd like to try to talk you out of it...

R&I of the NSS is a fairly simple process - the biggest issue is going to be getting the old one off. There have been some hints posted here that should make it easier, I just don't have any to hand. My trick is this funky pair of pliers that I picked up Gawd-knows-where - the work backwards. Squeeze the handles, and the jaws open. I think I picked them up for brakes 'way back when, but I've gotten a lot of use out of them on damned near everything over the 15-20 years I've had them...

Back