• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 transplant

creepy crawler

NAXJA Forum User
I'm guting a 88 for replacement parts for a 84. I would like to transplant the 4.0 into the 84. that was not a motor amc was using at that time in the xj. My Q is what mods am I going to need to perform on my 84 to make this swap work? I know the basics like motor mounts, radiator, hanging my clutch for the 5spd.Where I'm stumped is with the wiring. Is there a conversion wiring harness Or after market brain box? I would like any feedback I could get on this subject. has anyone out there performed this? thanx in advance.
:skull1: CREEPY CRAWLER:skull1:

Very hard. If you didn't already noitce the hood latches are different. That is because the center latch dosn't alow the 4.0 enough room. Also the firewall is back farther on the 88 to alow more room for the 4.0.

Yes I saw that on the hood I plan on pining it & removing the latches all together. the firewall I was not aware of. Is this a option I should be considering or should I be looking for a different doner motor? My 5spd will fit though I hope. If I should be looking for a different power plant what will fit well?

I am assuming you have either a 2.5 (fourbanger) or a 2.8 (V-6)...Sorry, the bellhousing for neither will fit a 4.0. It is a complicated and involved project to shoehorn in a 4.0. Use the search function for 3.4 swap...thats your best and easiest bet.

well it had a 2.5 oem but the last owner put in one of the smalest chevy v-6's i've ever seen. I'm wanting to install the 5spd out of the 88 so the orginal bell housing doesn't concerne me unless this trany doen't fit. what are my options on motors that will match the 88 5spd and still fit under the hood? thanx!
:skull1: CREEPY CRAWLER :skull1:

As I more or less mentioned in my last post...if you want to bolt in a motor, you can use another 2.8 GM or find from a salvage yard a 3.4 from a camaro.
The 3.4 bolts in place and you can use your distributor, intake, carb, etc from the 2.8. everything will bolt up, tranny, exhaust, etc..

Now....up near the top of the page...it says search...search is your friend...learn to use it...this question has been covered to death..there is plenty of info about everything you need to know to do a 3.4 swap.

thanx MudDawg I'm fairly new to this and haven't got the hang of the search yet I tried to search what you told me to and it just pulled up my tread I'll try again. One Q though if the trany from the 84 won't accept the 4.0 then once I put the 5spd out of the 88 in the 84 then I would assume that it then woudn't fit the 3.4 you are suggesting P.S.found a tread on using the search more effectively should be alot more usful to me now

Last edited:
Depends on which specific tranny you took out of the '88 model. I'm not real strong on manual tranny combos...they are rare as hen's teeth in my part of the world...I have the only manual tranny MJ i have ever seen...and i have only seen one manual trans in a junkyard XJ...the out west guys are manual trans pros around here..

Back