• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Battery Problem

OFFRDR

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so I thought I had a bad battery because I was having trouble starting up my jeep. Well I went out and got a new battery and put it in. All my electronics work and everything, but it won't turn over..it doesn't even try to crank. What do I doooooo?

sounds like a neutral safety switch especially if your reverse lights dont work. if your careful, you can remove it and clean it out, otherwise it will need to be replaced

If your NSS is shot, jumping the battery won't help - since the starter motor relay won't get power.

Try to start it in Neutral, and see if that helps. Usually what happens is that the "Park" circuit in the NSS gets crudded up, but the Neutral circuit doesn't. If that works, dismount your NSS and clean it.

A replacement runs $130-300, cleaning it can be done for five bucks. IBM Presents - You Make The Call.

Writeups on the job are available here and elsewhere, if your Google-Fu is up to scratch.

OFFRDR said:
Sweet deal. Yeah, I tried in neutral too, nothing. Thanks.

OK - before you go taking the switch off, get a helper.

There's a screw atop the switch (switch itself is on the pax side of the box, opposite the shifter entry. The shift shaft goes all the way through the case and sticks through the NSS.)

Block the wheels, shift into Reverse (ENGINE OFF!) and have your helper watch for reverse lamps while you fiddle the switch. It may be out of adjustment - once the reverse lamps come back on, you should be able to start. Tighten down the adjuster screw and try starting again.

What year is it? You can try using a jumper at the starter relay and see if it cranks.

You can also search to see how to bypass the NSS. This should be done only to diagnose it. If you can crank with the NSS bypassed, then you know for sure.

Please make sure that 1) the terminals are shiny clean where they contact the battery terminals, and 2) the ground cable end bolted to the block is the same.

If so, proceed, but we don't know yet you have a complete circuit that can handle 400 amps.

Back