• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which axle for the front?

Crewdude007

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ with 3.5" lift. Currently my DD and will probably stay that way for the forseeable future. Plan to eventually upgrade to 5.5" - 6" and run 33s when I get the money. Recently obtained an xj d44 rear from the local JY and looking for ideas on front axle swaps. I was thinking about a Ford HP44, but wanted to know what other ideas you could suggest. How much difference in width is there between a ford 44 and an xj44? Should I just keep my lp30 since I'm only running 33s?

I have been told that with the bigger(stock) joints and 33s you will be fine. I run 33s on my 97 and I think its fine for the tire size. Just bring some extra shafts and save the money and time

ok, so how about for 35's? it there a non-fullwidth axle that is strong enough to handle 35's, that isn't going to be ridiculously hard to fab?

ok, so how about for 35's? it there a non-fullwidth axle that is strong enough to handle 35's, that isn't going to be ridiculously hard to fab?

yeah the D30 with alloy shafts will be fine. tons of people run this setup with no problems.

HP30 or LP 44 are the happy mediums here.

ok, now will the HP30 handle a locker with 4.88's too? and is there a significant difference in strength between the disco, and non-disco axle?

ok, now will the HP30 handle a locker with 4.88's too? and is there a significant difference in strength between the disco, and non-disco axle?

you want non disco shafts.

thought so... I guess the conversion involves a seal and a shaft? and that's it? I was just reading about that...

Yep. I just did the conversion over the weekend, not too bad. But finding a non-disco axle should be just as easy if you're going 4.88 since you have to re-gear anyway.

What about a rubicon(up to 06') front D-44, it would be a direct bolt in correct! And should be stronger than a stock D-30.

Just throwing another option out there.

Yep. I just did the conversion over the weekend, not too bad. But finding a non-disco axle should be just as easy if you're going 4.88 since you have to re-gear anyway.

yeah, but the disco's already under the heep!!!

so... anyone? will it stand up to a locker?

mine has and I run small u-joints get some shafts that have the larger u-joins and you'll probably be ok as long as you are not stupid with the skinny pedal

Alloys with Yukon Superjoints. You'll break the shaft before the U joint and before the ring gear in most cases. A good setup of the gears will help them last as well. And a quality gear set at that.

Get a beefy cover like a Ruffstuff one to help strengthen up the D30 housing, possibly do a truss. TnT has a nice one.

You can polish that turd quite a bit.

Alloys with Yukon Superjoints. You'll break the shaft before the U joint and before the ring gear in most cases. A good setup of the gears will help them last as well. And a quality gear set at that.

Get a beefy cover like a Ruffstuff one to help strengthen up the D30 housing, possibly do a truss. TnT has a nice one.

You can polish that turd quite a bit.

or do a 44

I'm not a mainiac with the skinny... I find it kinda hard to be with a stick... I'm all for do it as smoothly as possible... so sounds like I could lock it without TOO much worry...

Back