• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a wierd paint job now...

irish44j

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to fix a few big dents and a crack in the door of the XJ (bondo, dent puller) but the main problem is that it would be impossible to match the factory paint.

So...since the XJ is already ugly, figured might as well try something....using a couple cans of BBQ spraypaint, lol. It looks alot "blacker" in person, the sunlight makes it look gray on my camera...I'll probably do the front fenders and the hatch eventually, but need to get more paint. It's "different" so I'll probably keep it that way, what the hell...

5-23-08002.jpg

5-23-08001.jpg

my wife is not terribly excited..

5-23-08008.jpg

also did a bit of work on the other project as well...

5-23-08013.jpg

oops, meant to post this in the paint and bodywork forum....too many windows open!

Moderator, could you please move it when you get a chance? thanks.

scottmcneal said:
Looks nice, great job.. The other project is going to rub alot if you don't lift her

is it sad that the 2.0L inline-6 on the other project is going to make more power than the 4.0L inline-6 on the XJ when I'm done with it? :)

irish44j said:
is it sad that the 2.0L inline-6 on the other project is going to make more power than the 4.0L inline-6 on the XJ when I'm done with it? :)
do I smell a swap??? lol!

I like the paint job man.... I don't know why... but I do! I think you should take it foreward, and follow the line on the front quarters....

tayman said:
do I smell a swap??? lol!

I like the paint job man.... I don't know why... but I do! I think you should take it foreward, and follow the line on the front quarters....

that's the plan, I just need more paint and have to take off the front quarter badges.

swap? nah...the Triumph will keep the 2L...but it will be fully built eventually and should put down ~200 at the wheels when complete. Putting modern engines in classic cars....:puke:

jk333 said:
I couldnt agree more :yelclap:
Same here... I didn't realize what it was... My grandpa has been working on similar cars for a very long time, and he's done some pretty cool stuff. He built a lot of race cars...

he has a Triumph Motorcycle, but I know the cars are not common... very cool!

Last edited:
If you are going to go with barbecue paint, why not just go with Rhino lining? Maybe it's real expensive, dunno, just a thought.

muckleroy said:
If you are going to go with barbecue paint, why not just go with Rhino lining? Maybe it's real expensive, dunno, just a thought.

that would be the logical thing to do, sure.

I used the BBQ paint because....well, I had 2 cans of it sitting on a shelf in my garage and I have a brand-new grill. :cool: And doing something on the car that costs no money is always my favorte kind of project.

That, and most of the things I do on the Jeep are entirely compulsive/spur-of-the-moment.

Looks cool man, i would finish the fenders and rear hatch to match but i like it.

What rear tire carrier is that? Is that the factory one that just mounts on the bumper? I've heard about them, but never seen one, I've just seen the ones that bolt to the side of the XJ too.

chrisja77 said:
What rear tire carrier is that? Is that the factory one that just mounts on the bumper? I've heard about them, but never seen one, I've just seen the ones that bolt to the side of the XJ too.

yeah, that's the factory MOPAR tire carrier. I got lucky and found one all rusty in a junkyard, missing the hinge parts, etc. Cleaned it up, added some extra bracing behind the bumper, got some stronger hardware, and a spidertrax spacer so it would fit the 31.

If I was a serious wheeler I'd probably go for something stronger, but since the XJ is just a utility vehicle/occasional light wheeler it works fine.

more on the rack in this thread in case you're interested

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=943903

various007.jpg

Back