• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshafts interchangable?

buzxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj with a 8.25 rear axle that has an extremely pitted and beat up rear driveshaft. I have a driveshaft available to me from a 95 with a d35 that is in great shape. Are there any differences in the two driveshafts? Thanks, Buz

Ain't gonna work without some work on your end. The t-case slipyoke changed in '96 so the 'nose' of the driveshaft is wrong. You can swap your old 99 slipyoke over to the 95 shaft when you replace the u-joints though. You ARE planning to replace u-joints on a 13-year old driveshaft, right? ;)

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Isn't the D35 shaft too long for the 8.25"? I am swapping in a 2001 8.25" into a 1991 with a D35. I was under the impression that I would have to have my driveline shortened...to the tune of $90:eek: ...or find another one.

Mehh....missed the part about the different axles. Yeah, there's something like a 1" difference. Might be time for a Budget Boost or to use the C8.25 driveshaft.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Just changed my rear from a D35 to a 8.25 on my 91. The driveshaft from the D35 is about 2"" longer than the 8.25. They will not work. you would need to get one for the 8.25 rear.

Bummer...2 inches!?...good to know though.

So you still needed to change shafts even though it was only 1/2" difference? My wishful thinking is kicking in, hoping I can reuse my balanced D35 shaft with pretty new 1310's in it. Regardless, both axles are goin' in the XJ early next week!

Back