• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding noise from rear end = worn spider gears?

Daedalus454

NAXJA Forum User
I had 4.56 gears put in last week, and since then, in addition to the driveline vibe issues, I have had a strange and rather bad-sounding noise from the rear diff. It's very low-pitched, I can feel it in the floorboards and the steering wheel, and it occurs when I go from accelerating to coasting. When I am accelerating it's quiet, and when I am coasting it's quiet, it only makes noise during the second or two when I transition.

With all four wheels on jackstands, with the XJ running and in gear, the passenger tire spins and the driver's tire remains motionless. When I hit the gas, the grinding noise occurs sporadically, and each time it does, the driver's wheel rotates a little.

I examined my side and spider gears, and it looks like my spider gears are worn out, but is that likely to cause a problem like this? It was fine until I regeared, but the carrier and spider gears shouldn't be turning any faster than they were before at the same speed, correct?

RCP Phx said:
Sounds like the pinion might be loose.Also,since you never posted back anything different can we assume you are running that horrible pattern that you posted?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=954422
After the final set-up the pinion turned with 25 in/lb of resistance, so I don't think it's loose.

I'm sorry you think my gear set-up is "horrible," I didn't hear anything like that from you or anyone else when I posted the first time, and the local NAXJA gear Guru checked it out and said he didn't think I would have any problems with that setup.

I thought you got plenty of feedback!The 8.25 is really hard to get quiet with the best set-up.
You also didnt mention any run-out numbers?What brand gears?Your U-joints may not like the new set-up because of the increased rpm's.

Last edited:
Backlash is .008". The gears are US Gears. My rear DS was rebuilt and rebalanced about 3 months ago. I have an SYE, and I've set the pinion angle properly with angle shims.

I did a bit of work and greased everything this evening, so I will see if it helps any.

Thanks for your help.

Back