• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing bolt patern to 5x5.5 which rotor will fit the rear

P1atinum

Aerodynamically Challenge
I am changing the bolt patern on my rear XJ d44 to 5x5.5, I did the rear ZJ disc swap a while ago and need to know which 5x5.5 rotor will work? I am thinking a Ford rotor will fit but I haven't been able to find the rotor deminsion compaired the the ZJ rotors.

Midnight Krawler said:
I have Crown Vic rotors, I don't think 5 on 5.5 axles will fit inside them.

They are the same axles. When you buy aftermarket axles they come with both bolt patterns drilled.

alloybadgesmall.jpg

Depends on which one you get. some are dual pattern, some aren't.
The replacement shaft I got from Alloy is a single pattern. I took it because I didn't want to wait for a dual pattern.

When I switched over to 5-on5.5 the stock axles and rotors I had at the time did not have enough "meat" to allow re-drill.
The AlloyUSA axles I bought came with a dual pattern, and would not fit inside the my old rotors.
After tons of searching and trips to local parts outlets, I bought '94 Ford F150 rotors. Unfortunately, they are not a perfect fit. The main issue is the pilot ID of the rotor is 3.870 inches, while the axle pilot OD is 2.824. To solve this, I had 2 "centering rings" machined to fit tightly over the axle pilot, and "just right" inside the rotor pilot.
The spacers were .250 thick x 3.865OD with a 2.824 ID.
They work great, and I've not experienced any vibration.
The second issue with these rotors, is the lug holes are .675inches ID, and the axle lugs are 1/2inch OD.
At first, I used bushings (.625 OD x .500 ID)but found the taper on the lug-nuts centered the rotor.
I needed rotors that were ~ 1.00inch thick to match my calipers. If your calipers can take a thicker rotor, you may be able to use front rotors off of a CJ. Otherwise, you may be able to buy custom rotors from a vendor like TSM; but when it comes time to replace them, they're "custom", and said vendor may not be in business anymore.

CJ rotors are made to mount to the BACK side of the spindle flange. The stud press through the holes in the rotor, spline into the holed in the flange, and hold the whole mess together. They would probably require a lot of machine work to fit on the front of a rear axle flange, and then the "Hat" would be short enough to require relocating the calipers.

How big is the difference between the old and new flange size? I read a buildup in a mag a while back that had a similar problem. They had the axle flange machined down to fit inside the rotor. Could that work?

I've come accross a couple of threads that turned down the axle flange slightly to fit. The operative word is "slightly". My AlloyUSA flanges are a close fit inside my Ford rotors. The outside bolt pattern (5-on-5.5) on my axle is very close to the edge of the flange. I wouldn't feel comfortable removing anymore than~ 1/16 of an inch.
The "hat" ID of the Ford rotors is 6&9/16, while the axle flange OD is 6.5.

I am running the same daul patern USA alloy shafts, I will have to look at redriling my rotors or see if I can find one of the aftermarket to custom drill rotors to 5x5.5

I will update the thread once I find more out.

Back