• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating still

evrydayXJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright here it goes..... a put on new water pump, thermostat, gdi 3-row, 12" electric cooling fan and the aux fan wired on.... when i run with the air on for awhile it still jumps to over 210.... i turn it off and it cools way down to about 185... btw i have a 180 thermo... im confused it seems that the voltage when i turn the air on slows my fans to un efficient fan speeds? its a 94 with a 4.0 h.o. with intake exhaust. any help would be great hope i gave enough info.. it never goes above 190 if i dont turn on the air no matter how hot it is..

you might want to switch to a high amp alternator to compensate for the drop in voltage due to the AC...also ensure belt tension is correct

sounds like one of these:

- air in cooling system
- you are using a "heavy duty" thermostat (they open later)
(use the stock temp one!! non Heavy Duty)
- you are running the wrong coolant / water ratio
- you are not moving enough air (fans get weak when a/c is on, makes sense , a/c makes everything weaker (motor/electrical) when on)

if your xj is stock engine , why swap to electric cooling fans? fan with clutch seems to be ok for stock setup. the fans definitely will take power to run especially if you have them always on and not regulated by a therm switch.

i would change it all back to stock and just make sure your system is in goodshape. try the coolant ratio thing first, thats what cured my constantly fluctuating temps.

thanks for the info, the ratio is 50/50... its all new....
the clutch fan was my next option...... i had the 195 thermo and it was overheating then in the 220 230 range.... also my schroud broke so its running without, i have checked the local bone yards and no luck should the clutch fan and schroud be whats next?
thank you for all the input i am new to the forums so thanks.
dan

shroud should make a huge difference

One possibly is a partially clogged radiator. I had a truck in the shop a couple of weeks ago with one. The only time it ran hot was while driving down the road. Also, it may sound crazy, but check the condensor location on your jeep. Mine was doing the same thing, after changing everything but the radiator, I happened to notice that the condensor was pushed into the radiator. Pulled it back and it seems to have taken care of the problem.

Bill

i mounted the fan lower and the schroud does not direct the air any better than the fan it self...at least with only the upper portion of the schroud. and as far as the condensor it is in the bottom slots that it should be and the top is bolted the the seperating brackets but thanks for the reply!
dan

what is the CFM rating on your electric fan?. when before i had my stroker motor my jeep would run at 180* all day long even in 100* temps. my set up is a CSF 3 row radiator, 180* t-stat, perma cool electric fan (2950 cfm rating) and the stock aux fan wired to a switch when needed. i think you need to check and make sure your fan pulls enough cfm that you put in. if i remember correctly it needs to be 2000cfm or more to cool enough. if everything else looks fine i would take a look at your water pump. ive seen the fan blades erode and not be functional but the pump not show any signs of being bad.

fluidmotion said:
what is the CFM rating on your electric fan?. when before i had my stroker motor my jeep would run at 180* all day long even in 100* temps. my set up is a CSF 3 row radiator, 180* t-stat, perma cool electric fan (2950 cfm rating) and the stock aux fan wired to a switch when needed. i think you need to check and make sure your fan pulls enough cfm that you put in. if i remember correctly it needs to be 2000cfm or more to cool enough. if everything else looks fine i would take a look at your water pump. ive seen the fan blades erode and not be functional but the pump not show any signs of being bad.

cool thanks alot water pump is new but the fan is only 1400 cfm with the aux fan on all the time..... i couldnt find a bigger fan that was thin enough... had issues with a bigger fan well lets say it got ripped off and was hanging by the wires ha ha! it was actually funny... but any suggestions on a bigger thinner fan? i think mine now is like 1 3/4? very very slim..

the fan i went with was from perma cool. the clearence is a little tight but if you manouver it around when you go to install it you can make it work without any problems. ill see if i can snap some pictures later tonight of mine. but i just made the mounts to mount it a little to the side of the fan pulley. i havent had any problems with it. heres the link to the fan

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&part=PRM-19114&N=700+400006+115&autoview=sku

I'm new to XJ's so please excuse my ignorance but why not just lock up the fan clutch?
That's something I have done in the past on other vehicles with good results.
Take the clutch apart, dispose of the oil / grease it contains, clean up really well with brake cleaner and fill it up with clear sillicon before reassembling. Make sure to really fill it up to avoid air bubbles and keep it balanced. It's worked well for me in the past. It is supposed to robb some power but I could never tell the difference, besides the peace of mind that comes with not overheating anymore is well worth it IMO...

Locking up the clutch will cost you more than power but fuel economy as well. It will be more noisy and if you do a river crossing, the clutch is not there to act as a brake to stop the fan turning into a propeller and sucking itself into the radiator!

fluidmotion said:
the fan i went with was from perma cool. the clearence is a little tight but if you manouver it around when you go to install it you can make it work without any problems. ill see if i can snap some pictures later tonight of mine. but i just made the mounts to mount it a little to the side of the fan pulley. i havent had any problems with it. heres the link to the fan

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM%2D19114&N=700+400006+115&autoview=sku

i tried using a fan that was about that thick and my motor ate it! my girlfriend in the jp and everything it was funny! just hanging by the wires, the bolts in the fan pully ripped it off... and i moved it all around the rad.and had the same results. like when my motor would flex from shifting , also the fan hung under the rad.. which i assume is no good bc its not doing its job of pulling air through the rad... so the smaller one i have now is not hanging over the rad... i think i need to find a NEW schroud because mine is BROKE but the local boneyards are bone dry of decent xj parts....most useful thing i found in them so far is a horn! which everyone needs for the jerks that dont move!

I was experiencing overheating as well and had an aluminum rad put in place of the stocker and that has really helped

evrydayXJ said:
i tried using a fan that was about that thick and my motor ate it! my girlfriend in the jp and everything it was funny! just hanging by the wires, the bolts in the fan pully ripped it off... and i moved it all around the rad.and had the same results. like when my motor would flex from shifting , also the fan hung under the rad.. which i assume is no good bc its not doing its job of pulling air through the rad... so the smaller one i have now is not hanging over the rad... i think i need to find a NEW schroud because mine is BROKE but the local boneyards are bone dry of decent xj parts....most useful thing i found in them so far is a horn! which everyone needs for the jerks that dont move!

What not remove the fan hub for more clearance like I show on my site??? www.go.jeep-xj.info

You need to get that shroud replaced to start and get that thermostat changed back to the stock one . The 4.0 is built to run 195 - 210 range every 10 degrees you try to lower it is 10 percent lose in performance and the computer will just keep putting more fuel to it to warm it back up.

Where did you find an aluminum radiator?! Griffin used to make one but they quit. The only upgrade I could find was a 3-core. Also, my brother replaced his radiator w/ a 3-core, has a new Hesco thermostat housing, new 195degree hi-flow thermostat, new flow-kooler water pump, new fan clutch which came from my Cherokee that never overheats, new BRX hoses, a new auxilary electric fan from a '97+ Cherokee, new 50/50 mixture of antifreeze/water... yet it still overheats when I run the AC and it is over 95 degrees outside. There is nothing left I can think to do. Is it possible that the computer is not properly turning on the auxilary fan? (it continues to run when I turn the ignition off even if it isn't hot yet).

Back