• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joints

Jeepsloth

Gort like Jeep
I changed the ball joints last weekend on the 1995. I picked up a couple of the ball joint kits from Quadratec
Ball Joint Kit

This isn't exactly a how to, its more of an illustration of how easy this job is with some basic tools and a little time. The only thing you may need to borrow or buy is a ball joint press, a torque wrench and a 1 1/8 inch socket for the lower ball joint nut.

I didn't take any pictures of the tire removal, I figured if that had to be shown well...:anon:

remove wheel, brake caliper (13mm), and the 3 bolts holding the unit bearing in place (13mm)
balljoint01.jpg

remove axle
balljoint03.jpg

remove the upper and lower cotter pins and nuts (that's not me, someone I lured over with free beer)
balljoint05.jpg

then remove the steering stuff (3/4)
balljoint06.jpg

remove the knuckle, this may work better if you let it soak in PB Blaster
balljoint07.jpg

Then use the Harbor Freight Ball Joint tool to get the joints out
balljoint10.jpg

The top one goes up and the bottom one goes down :looney:

mine didn't have the adjuster sleeve thing in the bottom so I reinstalled the bottom first then the top using the....
balljoint10.jpg

Then it's just a matter of re-installing the pieces parts, using the torque wrench and installing the cotter pins! One thing I forgot to mention is that you should use a jack and jack stands. You can't do this job without them.

Make sure you clean all the mating surfaces around the unit bearing and where the ball joints sit on the knuckles.

Back